Eric Dahnke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes on 15 October 1999 at 12:00:29 -0300

 > If there is no MX record for a given domain is it not standard practice
 > that an A record is tried?

Yes, it is.  Qmail follows that practice.  However, modifying the
initial question slightly to account for this, it does seem to make
sense that if you get permanent failures on both lookups, the message
should bounce right away.  This very likely indicates a typo in the
fqdn part of the address, and waiting won't help.

The other two possibilities would seem to be that we're waiting for
new DNS to propagate, or that they've been down or disconnected long
enough for cached DNS to expire and we're waiting for them to come
back up.  Hmmm; these two *do* seem like reasons why waiting in this
situation might make sense.
--
David Dyer-Bennet **Update your records, forwarding expires soon** [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://dd-b.lighthunters.net/ (photos) Minicon: http://www.mnstf.org/minicon