> Is there any way to tell if and when a secondary MX has been
> in use?  Log files?  Does qmail-send/remote log any specific
> messages to indicate the message was recieved/delivered
> because the primary MX was not available?

        If you're logging mail transactions, just look at that log and you
can see when and how much it is doing.  If it came in because the primary
was unavailable, you'll see a bunch of messages queue up and then all flush
at once when the primary comes back.  But the logs don't flat-out tell you
"hey, the primary looks like it is down."

        I just set up a secondary last month and one thing I'm noticing is
that it has a low but steady amount of traffic even with the primary
working, and that a disproportionately high amount of it is SPAM.  I suspect
some SPAM software targets non-primary MX hosts on the assumption that those
are neglected when anti-SPAM measures are put in place.

--
        gowen -- Greg Owen -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]