> Ok now to another question.. with qmail as mail-relay (mail proxy), if
> the server the mail is supposed to end up in is down.. will the mail
> stay in some queue at mailrelay-server? Or will they bounce back to
> sender?

        Assuming that the relay accepts mail for that domain and knows where
to forward it, if the forwarding host is not available it will hold the
message for up to 'queuelifetime' seconds, with a default of 604800 (one
week).  'queuelifetime' is a control file documented in the qmail-send man
page.

> And, should I have to add the domains in rcpthosts? I tried to
> add some domains and such in smtproutes(and rcpthosts), but it seems to
> me that qmail checks the MX record anyway, and just forwards the mail
> to the right mx host.

        They should be in rcpthosts.  I haven't tested to know what happens
if they are in MX but not rcpthosts, so I can't advise, but I'd probably
generally advise to follow the docs in any case ;>.

> I'm told that Sendmail wil do this better than qmail, but since the
> one who told me doesn't really like qmail I would appreciate some
> ideas/thoughts on this matter from you all :)

        Why are you running a relay?  Is it for security or performance
reasons?  If security, then the case against sendmail is pretty well made.
If for performance, either sendmail or qmail will handle most "normal"
loads, but my experience is that qmail handles the "mail has backed up here
for days and must now be passed on to the newly-up destination" case with
far less pain than sendmail - which is exactly the case a mail relay expects
to find itself in.

--
        gowen -- Greg Owen -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]