One of my clients has an employee that travels quite a bit
with a notebook computer. That employee uses Windows 95 and
Eudora Pro email client software. That employee also uses
msn.com for his ISP.

My client runs qmail-1.03. The pop3 services works very well
for receiving email when the employee is on the road. pop3
and SMTP works well locally on my clients LAN.

However, when the employee in on the road and dials into msn.com
from various locations around the country, SMTP attempts at relaying
through my client's server and the result in a #553 message.

The employee and I tried setting the SMTP server to msn.com in the
outgoing SMTP server setting in Eudora without success at sending
out email. We then tried email.msn.com and then smtp.email.msn.com
and were also not successful at sending out email. He can not
successfully send email out with my client's company email address
in the From: field.

I've read and re-read section 5.4 of the qmail FAQ and I concluded
that because the employee dials in from various locations, he doesn't
have a static IP address to add to /etc/hosts.allow as RELAYCLIENT
or as described in section 5.4 of the FAQ.

Obviously, putting all of .msn.com in the /etc/hosts.allow in
RELAYCLIENT at the client site is out of the question.

So what I am wondering is without having to recompile and re-install
the entire qmail package with various patches, is there a relatively
simple solution ? What are msn.com users doing with Eudora Pro that
allows them to use yahoo.com and hotmail.com as second email boxes ?

Thanks in advance,

Harley Silver