From: Russell Nelson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2000 6:51 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Timezone

Ian Lance Taylor writes:
 >    From: Russell Nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 >    Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 13:22:56 -0500 (EST)
 >
 >    Mark Delany writes:
 >     > I walk around http://physics.nist.gov/GenInt/Time/world.html
 >     > might be instructive.
 >
 >    Instructive, yes, but it says nothing about TAI.  TAI is simply a
 >    counting of seconds, without UTC being taken into account.  TAI + leap

 >    seconds == UTC.  Unix machines claim to run on UTC but really operate
 >    on TAI.
 >
 > This is one of those statement which punches my personal pedant
 > button.
 >
 > I believe that machines which follow POSIX run on a mixture.

Me too.  Didn't I just say that?  Perhaps the most accurate way to say
it is that the kernel naturally runs TAI, but it's sense of time it
coerced into UTC by people or other software external to the kernel.

--
-russ nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  http://russnelson.com
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | "Ask not what your country