> I get in problems, I'm running qmail in a large site as
> inbound relay. After a few days running qmail the
> perfomance decrease a lot, makeing the system
> practically unoperable. I run a top to see the resources
> utilised by each proccess and I notice that syslod is
> usgin 95% os the CPU !!!, this makes the system very very
> slow, the queue continusly grow up while the cpu% is 95
> and upper. The solution for this is killing syslogd, after
> this the system continue worksing well, accepting
> connections and deliveryng the queued mails.

        Syslog is a pig, and under heavy load, it will kill your system.
That has been my experience with it.

        Multliog from daemontools is supposed to be better; I've not run it
under the same load as the system I killed with syslog, so I can't vouch for
it.  But I trust it is since DJB tends to know what he's doing.

> Any ideas ???, how can I tell qmail daemons to log via
> another "syslog" ??

        The installation described in "Life with qmail" uses multilog
instead of syslog (but make sure you remove the 'splogger ...' from
/var/qmail/rc!).

--
        gowen -- Greg Owen -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]