> I have qmail/ezmlm-idx.  We are serving over 100 mailing lists with a
> total of about 50,000 subscribers.  The output from qmail-qstat is:
>
> messages in queue: 2293
> messages in queue but not yet preprocessed: 0
>
> My first question is how to I purge the queue.

        Sending a SIGALRM to the qmail-send process will cause it to try and
clear the queue, but unless you figure out why these messages are stuck in
the queue and fix it, that will do nothing for you except slow your system
down.

> The second question is what causes the queue to hold these messages.

        This is a better first question ;>.

        First, look for a pattern in the messages that are hanging.  Use
qmail-qread to see what's in the queue.  Are all the recipients not marked
"done" from the same place (e.g, yahoo.com or hotmail.com?)

        Second, look at your logs.  Find out why these messages aren't
getting through.  Use the info from qmail-qread to look for the last
delivery attempt on one of these messages, and see what error message came
back from the server.  If step #1 showed you that it was mostly one place
deferring messages, then this is straightforward; if step #1 showed many
places deferring, try to look at a few messages to see why they were
deferred.

        Thirdly, if you don't see a pattern on any of this, check your
trigger file (as described in LWQ).

        Most likely, mail is queueing up for some single place, and you can
either let the mail sit in the queue (that's what a queue is for, after all)
or try to expire it early and cause it to bounce.

--
        gowen -- Greg Owen -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]