qmail Digest 20 May 2000 10:00:00 -0000 Issue 1007

Topics (messages 42044 through 42103):

time until people get "failure notice"
        42044 by: Hans Sandsdalen
        42046 by: John P. Looney
        42047 by: Frank Tegtmeyer
        42048 by: Hans Sandsdalen

SMTP-proxy and qmail
        42045 by: Hans Sandsdalen

SOLVED: qmail slowing down after a while
        42049 by: qmail

Help with vchkpw
        42050 by: mark

Re: The current status of IETF drafts concerning bare linefeeds
        42051 by: Russell Nelson
        42058 by: Greg Hudson
        42063 by: Russell Nelson
        42069 by: Lindsay Haisley
        42075 by: Russell Nelson
        42076 by: Lindsay Haisley
        42077 by: Russell Nelson
        42078 by: D. J. Bernstein
        42079 by: Lindsay Haisley
        42085 by: Racer X

Re: time error on qmail
        42052 by: Zhiliang Hu
        42053 by: Dave Sill

pop and client config- need help
        42054 by: John Stile
        42055 by: John Stile
        42056 by: John Stile
        42057 by: Chris Johnson
        42061 by: John Stile

using /etc/aliases with qmail
        42059 by: Michael Mannsberger
        42060 by: Chris Johnson

Treating SMTP(remote) mails as locals
        42062 by: ravivr.hss.hns.com

test
        42064 by: Walid Kassab
        42066 by: Petr Novotny

return receipt problem w/qmail
        42065 by: Walid Kassab
        42067 by: Jerry Walsh

Re: Where is the script that starts smtp server?
        42068 by: Adam McKenna

Re: I want to leave this list
        42070 by: Kai MacTane
        42071 by: Kai MacTane
        42072 by: Steve Wolfe
        42073 by: markd.bushwire.net
        42074 by: Kai MacTane
        42080 by: Blaine Minazzi
        42082 by: Lidia Marchioni
        42086 by: Racer X
        42089 by: Troy Frericks
        42090 by: Troy Frericks
        42097 by: Tom ONeil
        42100 by: clemensF
        42101 by: clemensF

Re: preline: _Not_enough_space
        42081 by: Lidia Marchioni
        42083 by: Uwe Ohse
        42084 by: Lidia Marchioni
        42087 by: Russell Nelson
        42088 by: Adam McKenna
        42093 by: Lidia Marchioni

Re: PROB. SOLVED -- qmail-qstat and qmaill-qread differences...
        42091 by: Martin Gignac
        42094 by: Rick Myers

New version of the Love worm This one is BAD
        42092 by: bigkapusta.kapusta.com
        42095 by: Alex Shipp

Doing logging from qmail-pop3d without going thru syslog?
        42096 by: Chin Fang
        42102 by: clemensF

maildir
        42098 by: suresh
        42099 by: Matthew

pop-3
        42103 by: suresh

Administrivia:

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To bug my human owner, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hi

People here are making complaints about the fact that mails are queued
for
A LONG TIME before they get a failure notice. Is this configurable?
--
/hans

On Fri, May 19, 2000 at 12:26:10PM +0200, Hans Sandsdalen mentioned:
> Hi
>
> People here are making complaints about the fact that mails are queued
> for A LONG TIME before they get a failure notice. Is this configurable?

 "man qmail-control" will list all the files that you may need to
configure qmail - they live in /var/qmail/control on my machine.

 One of them, "queuelifetime" is set to 604800 seconds, by default. You
could make that lower. However, unlike other MTAs, qmail doesn't send the
person who has sent a "This mail is being queued" message if there is a
problem. The "queuelifetime" is how long it will sit on a letter, before
returning it back as "undeliverable".

Kate

--
"The fool must be beaten with a stick, for an intelligent person
the merest hint is sufficient"                -- Zen Master Greg

> person who has sent a "This mail is being queued" message if there is a
> problem. The "queuelifetime" is how long it will sit on a letter, before

There is a program called qmail_bounce that works perfectly for this
purpose. Look at www.qmail.org for

"Brian T. Wightman has written a delayed-mail notifier."

Regards, Frank

"John P. Looney" wrote:

> On Fri, May 19, 2000 at 12:26:10PM +0200, Hans Sandsdalen mentioned:
> > Hi
> >
> > People here are making complaints about the fact that mails are queued
> > for A LONG TIME before they get a failure notice. Is this configurable?
>
>  "man qmail-control" will list all the files that you may need to
> configure qmail - they live in /var/qmail/control on my machine.
>
>  One of them, "queuelifetime" is set to 604800 seconds, by default. You
> could make that lower. However, unlike other MTAs, qmail doesn't send the
> person who has sent a "This mail is being queued" message if there is a
> problem. The "queuelifetime" is how long it will sit on a letter, before
> returning it back as "undeliverable".

Thank you. I should have checked there by myself. I set it to a couple
of
days (216000), instead of one week (604800).

> Kate
>
> --
> "The fool must be beaten with a stick, for an intelligent person
> the merest hint is sufficient"                -- Zen Master Greg

--
/hans

Hi

I run qmail as mail server SW. When I configured my Watchguard Firewall
II to use SMTP proxy
a lot of mails stayed in the queue, and I got "connection died" in the
maillog. The
problem arised when MX-records pointed to a "closed" server. I don't now
why, but
qmail never tried the other servers according to MX-records?

If I delete the SMTP proxy, and only alow traffic on port 25 this works
fine.....
--
/hans

<blush>
power saving...
<digging in the ground>

sorry for the disturbance...

/Ekki

On Fri, 19 May 2000 03:11:43 +0200, qmail wrote:

> Claudio,
> sorry, detailed information will take some more time (we are trying to
> track down things as exact as possible).
> For now:
> - patch is qmail-ldap-1.03-20000401.patch
> - no imap around
> - my mistake: pop3 is NOT affected, Curtis was right
> - we're producing high load on smtp using "postal"
> - BTW: symptoms appeared on systems with daemontools-0.53,
>   just upgraded these, no results yet...
>
> 'll be back...
> so long, TIA
> /Ekki

> On Wed, May 17, 2000 at 04:39:22PM +0200, qmail wrote:
> > Hi,
> > any results on the below questions from the qmail list? I feel like
> I'm
> > experiencing the very same behaviour in my test environment. But IMHO
> > not necessarilly related to NFS or Solaris (same with linux). Both
> POP3
> > and SMTP seem to be affected.
> >

> Which patch do you use?
> And could you locate the possible bottleneck?
> Have a look at ps, top, netstat and perhaps lsof.
> I can not test this. I'm sorry.
>
> There could be a problem with the imap connections. A lot of tcp
> sessions
> to the imap server in the TIME_WAIT or simmilar state.
> We know about this problem and try to fix that (with cldap perhaps)

Hi all,

I  need some help with starting vchkpw.
I have the following line in my rc scripts.

tcpserver -v -R 0 110 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup domain.name
/list/vpopmail/bin/vchkpw /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d Maildir &

It was running fine with checkpasswd. All users could pop with no problem.
Now that I changed to vchkpw it keeps on exiting.

Any ideas

Many Thanks
Mark

Lindsay Haisley writes:
 > Version 1.03 of qmail-smtpd is currently configured to reject incoming mail
 > with bare linefeeds.

Yup.  The problem with bare linefeeds is simple: their interpretation
is ambiguous on a Unix machine.  Same thing for a bare carriage-return
on a Macintosh.  No SMTP client should ever accept such a thing for
transmission.  Because some do, qmail rejects them.  The problem,
however, is not with qmail, it is with the SMTP client.

Given the differing interpretations of bare linefeeds and
carriage-returns, they must be disallowed by the SMTP specification,
and they must not be accepted by SMTP clients or servers.

--
-russ nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  http://russnelson.com
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | "Ask not what your country

> Yup.  The problem with bare linefeeds is simple: their
> interpretation is ambiguous on a Unix machine.

This is an oversimplification.  Unix machines are perfectly capable of
interpreting bare LFs in whatever way the spec might say they should.
There is a practical problem because MTA and MUA implementations like
to allow the use of standard Unix tools to process messages; this can
be considered an implementation issue, although it's a big one.

> Given the differing interpretations of bare linefeeds and
> carriage-returns, they must be disallowed by the SMTP specification,

Certainly, given that sendmail munges them (or at least used to), the
spec should disallow them, and the DRUMS draft does.

> and they must not be accepted by SMTP clients or servers.

This is a matter of philosophy.  The IETF tendency on such matters is
to regularly mandate that servers must accept invalid data as long as
the data can be interpreted.  I don't agree with this philosophy, at
least for the initial deployment of a protocol ("be liberal in what
you accept" increases robustness now at the expense of encouraging
interoperability problems later), but it is somewhat defensible.

The DRUMS draft should probably become clearer about the proper
interpretation of a bare LF before it becomes a standard, if it ever
does.  (Given that it has much more precisely specified grammar rules
than RFC 822 does, I would love to see it become a standard, but I
don't know how likely that is.)

Greg Hudson writes:
 > > Yup.  The problem with bare linefeeds is simple: their
 > > interpretation is ambiguous on a Unix machine.
 >
 > This is an oversimplification.

I don't believe so.  Email messages consist of lines of text.  While
in transit, those lines are separated by the Tenex newline, CRLF.
When stored on the destination system, the lines are separated by the
local newline.  Therefore, lines in email cannot contain any
characters which may be interpreted as local newlines.  Fortunately,
this is only CR and LF.

 > > and they must not be accepted by SMTP clients or servers.
 >
 > This is a matter of philosophy.  The IETF tendency on such matters is
 > to regularly mandate that servers must accept invalid data as long as
 > the data can be interpreted.  I don't agree with this philosophy, at
 > least for the initial deployment of a protocol ("be liberal in what
 > you accept" increases robustness now at the expense of encouraging
 > interoperability problems later), but it is somewhat defensible.

No one would ever send bare CR's and/or LF's if servers didn't accept
them.  "Be liberal in what you accept" allows people to put broken
clients into production and makes it politically difficult to get them
repaired.

It's a much, much better philosophy for servers to be strict in what
they accept.  That way, you never get broken (protocol-violating)
clients deployed.

Life *is* change.  You can detect the absence of life by the absence
of change.  "Be liberal in what you accept" means accepting multiple
versions of a protocol.  This allows for change.  It doesn't mean
accepting anything thrown down your gullet, and choosing one of
multiple interpretations of it.

--
-russ nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  http://russnelson.com
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | "Ask not what your country
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315 268 1925 voice | can force other people to
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  | +1 315 268 9201 FAX   | do for you..."  -Perry M.

Thus spake Russell Nelson on Fri, May 19, 2000 at 06:58:35AM CDT

> Given the differing interpretations of bare linefeeds and
> carriage-returns, they must be disallowed by the SMTP specification,
> and they must not be accepted by SMTP clients or servers.

Russ, thanks.

How do you reconcile this with the draft spec, which appears to require that
receiving systems (SMTP servers) MUST process bare linefeeds in some
fashion.  Do you think I'm misreading the spec, and if so, in what way?

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "Everything works    |     PGP public key
FMP Computer Services |       if you let it" |      available at

Lindsay Haisley writes:
 > Thus spake Russell Nelson on Fri, May 19, 2000 at 06:58:35AM CDT
 > >
 > > Given the differing interpretations of bare linefeeds and
 > > carriage-returns, they must be disallowed by the SMTP specification,
 > > and they must not be accepted by SMTP clients or servers.
 >
 > Russ, thanks.
 >
 > How do you reconcile this with the draft spec, which appears to require that
 > receiving systems (SMTP servers) MUST process bare linefeeds in some
 > fashion.  Do you think I'm misreading the spec, and if so, in what way?

I would point out to the author of the spec that it is requiring that
messages be mangled when received on Unix systems.

Also, the patch is there on www.qmail.org, if it bothers you overmuch.

--
-russ nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  http://russnelson.com
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | "Ask not what your country
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315 268 1925 voice | can force other people to
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  | +1 315 268 9201 FAX   | do for you..."  -Perry M.

Thus spake Russell Nelson on Fri, May 19, 2000 at 01:22:36PM CDT

> I would point out to the author of the spec that it is requiring that
> messages be mangled when received on Unix systems.

I'm sure the IETF process permits such input.

> Also, the patch is there on www.qmail.org, if it bothers you overmuch.

Thanks, Russ.  The 'fix' is fairly trivial and I've already done it, and in
fact routinely do it for qmail installs I do.  In real-world terms, it costs
more in tech support time to deal with complaints and problems resulting
from rejection of non-compliant email than it does to deal with problems
arising from accepting it.

My purpose here was to inquire regarding what appears to be a conflict
between qmail and an emerging standard.  If the draft I referenced becomes
an RFC, then, whether we like it or not, qmail will apparently be out of
compliance with accepted specifications for email in this regard.  RFCs are,
after all, the final authority for what is and is not appropriate technical
behavior on the Internet, and departure from these standards shouldn't be
done lightly.  As you're well aware, Microsoft and others have played fast
and loose with standards compliance, to the general detriment of the
Internet.

I'm not close enough to the qmail development and maintenance community to
do this, but perhaps it would be appropriate for you or Dan or someone else
who can deal with this issue knowledgably to provide some input into the
IETF standards process on this before the draft becomes an RFC.

Please note that I'm in general agreement with your position on this, and
question the wisdom of establishing a dual standard for originating and
receiving email, but this is indeed what the draft proposes.  This is as
much as anything a head's up to you and others regarding the issue.

--

Lindsay Haisley writes:
 > Thanks, Russ.  The 'fix' is fairly trivial and I've already done it, and in
 > fact routinely do it for qmail installs I do.  In real-world terms, it costs
 > more in tech support time to deal with complaints and problems resulting
 > from rejection of non-compliant email than it does to deal with problems
 > arising from accepting it.

That's the point -- the munging is hard to detect but the bouncing is
easy to detect.  Plus, the munging hurts the recipient, who didn't
generate the message and has no idea that the line shouldn't be broken
where it was.  The recipient may be completely unable to detect the
munging.  The bouncing is detected by the sender, who is in a position
to download a repaired version of the SMTP client.

The tech support response should be "Your email client has a bug.
Update it to the newest version.  If the problem is still present, ask
your email client vendor to fix it.  Give them the smtplf URL."  OTOH,
Dan could have links to updated versions of software in his
smtplf.html file.  That would make it less likely that tech support
would even be contacted.

 > My purpose here was to inquire regarding what appears to be a conflict
 > between qmail and an emerging standard.  If the draft I referenced becomes
 > an RFC, then, whether we like it or not, qmail will apparently be out of
 > compliance with accepted specifications for email in this regard.  RFCs are,
 > after all, the final authority for what is and is not appropriate technical
 > behavior on the Internet, and departure from these standards shouldn't be
 > done lightly.

Very few vendors implement IEEE 802.3.  Some standards are too stupid
to comply with.

 > Please note that I'm in general agreement with your position on this, and
 > question the wisdom of establishing a dual standard for originating and
 > receiving email, but this is indeed what the draft proposes.  This is as
 > much as anything a head's up to you and others regarding the issue.

Thanks!

--

Lindsay Haisley writes:
> My purpose here was to inquire regarding what appears to be a conflict
> between qmail and an emerging standard.

You are misinterpreting 822bis. If someone tries to relay some spam
through your server, and the spam uses obsolete syntax, do you think
that your server is required to accept the message?

The word ``accept'' in 822bis means that parsers won't die. It doesn't
mean that servers are required to permit delivery of a message. Servers
can reject messages for any reason they want.

> RFCs are, after all, the final authority for what is and is not
> appropriate technical behavior on the Internet,

No. RFCs are merely one source of information about the Internet, and
not a particularly accurate source. We implementors decided years ago to
allow non-MIME 8-bit mail, for example, even though the relevant RFCs
specifically require that such mail be rejected.

---Dan

Thus spake Russell Nelson on Fri, May 19, 2000 at 02:28:22PM CDT

> The tech support response should be "Your email client has a bug.
> Update it to the newest version.  If the problem is still present, ask
> your email client vendor to fix it.  Give them the smtplf URL."  OTOH,
> Dan could have links to updated versions of software in his
> smtplf.html file.  That would make it less likely that tech support
> would even be contacted.

Some people are totally clueless.  This thread was inspired by the problems
of a business customer of an ISP for which I do consulting and mail
administration.  Said customer was getting ecommerce order notifications
bounced because the ecommerce service provider's order management system was
out of compliance and sending bare linefeeds in email to our qmail system.
The ecommerce people saw the bounce message and told the customer that the
ISP was using pobox.com to send email, and that pobox.com wasn't a "true
email system" and that pobox.com was blocking all their order notifications
because they thought they were spam.  The chief tech person at the ISP
basically told everyone involved pretty much what you've said above, but I
doubt that ecommerce people got it.

Some tech support folks would be better off flipping burgers :(