Peter van Dijk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>On Tue, May 09, 2000 at 04:02:39PM -0400, Brad Johnson wrote:
>>
>> Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity iused   ifree  %iused
>> Mounted on
>> /dev/wd0s1e    396895   121201   243943    33%   99832       6   100%   /var
>>
>> 4) Fix the filesystem somehow.
>> Something like increasing the # of available inodes, partitioning?

Yes. Back up /var, re-newfs/mkfs it with more space allocated to
inodes, restore the files, then fix the queue file names with one of
the handy scripts on www.qmail.org.

>This is the problem, yes. You seem to have one inode per 4kbyte of
>diskspace. This should always be sufficient.

It's obviously not in this case. His 100,000 messages are apparently
pretty small. But regardless of their size, you need 100,000 inodes
to store 100,000 files. Each message in the queue requires at least
two inodes.

>Hmm this is problematic. I just realized that for a disk to run out of
>space before it runs out of inodes with qmail you need 1 inode per 1k.

How do you figure that? The ratio of inode space to data space (for
most filesystems) is determined at the time the filesystem is
created. I don't see anything magic about 1k/inode.

-Dave