Mike Denka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Could you, or anyone else who would care to join this discussion, please be
> more specific re: "Suns filesystems and qmails file operations"?

I've done a lot tweaking squid proxies (Sun U2) and
therefore had a lot to do with filesystems. You can see
the difference, when you let squid create it's cache-dirs
on a Sun and on e. g. a Linux box.

There are several possibilities to increase the
performance of Suns ufs.

1. use more spindles (that's why I asked for the number of
   disks in the A1000) - we used multipacks with 2 GB
   disks.

2. mount the filesystems with options ufs-logging and
   no-atime (if you're lucky and run Solaris 7).

3. try fastfs (not really recommended for mail servers)

4. read the tuning books (Porsche and others)

> We are load balancing a pair of Sun E250's sharing one
> disk array via NFS.  All Maildirs are on the NFS share.
> So far (roughly 10,000 mailboxes) I don't notice any
> real problems.  But I would be very interested in more
> detail regarding these two issues (Sun filesystems and qmail file operations)
> in case I do begin to notice I/O issues on the NFS server.

Sorry, I've no experience with shared-storage on NFS.
Maybe there are other issues with this ...

> Can you give a detailed explanation or perhaps point me
> to some appropriate docs for more detail?

It's always the (a)synchronous update of metadata on the
disk, buffering, etc.

There's a nice paper about the soft-updates, which are
used with FreeBSD ...

By
Töns
--