Okay.  First what I'm doing, what happened, and then my big question.

I've got a load balanced array of qmail servers whose purpose is to
relay messages and hold deferred messages.

It is business critical that we don't lose deferred messages.

My first solution for doing this is to place the qmail queues on an
NFS mount.  They'll stay on the reliable storage and the servers will
talk to them when needed.

It wasn't the simplest solution - the lock directory had to be on the
local disk to have the named pipe in it, but I got it working.

It ran for a day or two, and then it started getting some test
traffic... and it stalled.  It wasn't delivering messages for no
obvious reason.  I saw nothing new in the log file which is what
alerted me at first, and the process list was full of qmail-remotes
that weren't doing anything.  I shut down qmail.

So, I copied the pile of messages back to the local disk, and got
qmail running again.  The messages in queue were delivered in a few
seconds.

This prompted a bit of research.  Why didn't it work?  My boss wanted
to know too.  I found a message on this list where a man states that
qmail queues cannot be located over NFS.

My question is Why?  they use maildir, so they don't need locking,
right?  Be technical, I may have to explain this to my boss.

And if I can't put the queues there, is there a way to stored
deferred messages there, so we can recover from a relay server
explosion without losing already deferred messages?

David

David Ihnen
Integration Engineer
myCIO