Thomas Duterme <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I've got a gut feeling I am missing something really obvious.  Basically,
> I need smtpname to be set to the orginal rcpt of the message.
>
> So, the idea is to change fetchmail source so that fetchmail will
> use the original messages 'Delivered-To' header line for the local SMTP
> transactions RCPT line.  This will ensure correct sorting of email on
> localhost.
>
> Using MDA doesn't solve the problem since it may lose mail if the
> mail address doesn't exist (ie no bounced mails)  Also, with MDA
> if I forward my existing webmail to the remote server and then fetch
> mail back down to localhost, this forwarded mail gets lost.

Perhaps try something other than fetchmail, which doesn't even try to
do delivery by re-injecting with SMTP (that's just a recipe for bounced
mail).

You could try my own program, getmail.  It's simple to use, and does local
deliveries directly into Maildirs (or mboxes, if you prefer).
It's very simple to set up, and determines local recipients based on the
contents of the Delivered-To: header as a first choice.

You can get it at http://www.qcc.sk.ca/~charlesc/software/getmail/

Charles