Michael T. Babcock writes:
 > Actually, searching for MXPS (thank-you) in the archives, I found:
 > ... by DJB (in January, 1999):
 >
 > -X-
 > I'm going to use a special MX host name format instead of special MX
 > preferences. The basic options will be

I think that's a silly idea.  Better to pick a "magic" MX preference,
and try qmtp.  If it fails, then fall back to smtp.  The number of
people who happen to use that preference AND who have something
listening on the qmtp port is either zero now, or will become zero
once all hosts running qmail attempt to talk to all other qmail hosts
using qmtp.

I'd really like to see a qmail 1.04 which uses qmtp.  It would let
qmail hosts talk *much* faster to each other.  The other thing I'd
like to see is for qmtp to implement VERP.  So that instead of
expanding list-@host-@[], qmtp would *transmit* list-@host-@[] and the
receiving host would expand the verp.  That also means that the qmail
qmtpd would transmit all the recipients of a piece of email whose
hostname was textually equal, ignoring case differences.

This would allow people concerned about qmail's single-RCPT feature to
implement a qmtpd, and set their MX priority to the magic value.
There's no reason why you couldn't implement a qmtpd for sendmail.
And it would save sites like aol or hotmail MANY SMTP connections.

--
-russ nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  http://russnelson.com
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | Tornadoes, earthquakes,