A scan of the sources reveals that that error message is generated
from the follow C code:

if (chdir("queue") == -1) die(62);

The reasons why that could fail are pretty limited in the qmail
scenario.

o       The directory does not exist - installation error?
o       The file system is flaky - fsck?
o       The queue is on an NFS server - not allowed with qmail
o       The process does not have permission - installation error?

Hmmm, that's all I can think of right now.

I have not heard of chdir intermittantly working before. Solaris or
otherwise.

Regards.