qmail Digest 29 Jul 2000 10:00:01 -0000 Issue 1077

Topics (messages 45724 through 45798):

Re: qmail-1.03 on Solaris is broken
        45724 by: Toens Bueker
        45727 by: Andrew Richards

Re: qmail & SSL
        45725 by: Miroslav Tempir

qmail & mailstart
        45726 by: Lydia
        45732 by: Dave Sill

message has wrong owner
        45728 by: Anders Kvist
        45735 by: Dave Sill

Problem building qmail from qmail-1.03+patches-14.src.rpm
        45729 by: Adrian Head
        45734 by: Chris, the Young One
        45738 by: Chris, the Young One

Re: incorrect date..
        45730 by: Greg Owen

Re: void main
        45731 by: Jan Echternach

Qmail filtering
        45733 by: Tyler J. Frederick
        45737 by: Petr Novotny

Not getting mail from smtpd
        45736 by: Craig L. Ching
        45745 by: Dave Sill
        45748 by: Craig L. Ching
        45749 by: Chris, the Young One
        45751 by: Dave Sill
        45753 by: Craig L. Ching
        45755 by: Dave Sill
        45765 by: Craig L. Ching

Re: Clean queue
        45739 by: Paul Jarc

Re: orbs.org accuses qmail of mailbomb relaying!
        45740 by: Paul Jarc
        45770 by: Peter van Dijk

Re: local-test sends to internet
        45741 by: Bruno Wolff III

Handy way to restart qmail
        45742 by: Harry Putnam
        45743 by: Petr Novotny
        45744 by: Dave Sill
        45758 by: Harry Putnam
        45760 by: Adam McKenna
        45761 by: Dave Sill
        45763 by: Einar Bordewich
        45777 by: Harry Putnam

AMaViS Problems.... Someone please help.
        45746 by: Jeremy Fowler
        45754 by: Rainer Link

kill -9 (was Re: Handy way to restart qmail)
        45747 by: Chris, the Young One
        45750 by: James Raftery

Re: dot-qmail deliver help
        45752 by: Einar Bordewich
        45762 by: Uwe Ohse
        45768 by: Einar Bordewich

stats from qmailanalog
        45756 by: flitcraft33
        45759 by: Dave Sill
        45764 by: Kevin Bucknum

The famous [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        45757 by: Einar Bordewich
        45766 by: markd.bushwire.net
        45767 by: Chris, the Young One
        45769 by: Einar Bordewich
        45771 by: Einar Bordewich
        45772 by: markd.bushwire.net
        45779 by: MichaelG.RxAmerica.com
        45780 by: markd.bushwire.net
        45781 by: Einar Bordewich

SMTP and POP3 connections take too long
        45773 by: net admin
        45774 by: Charles Cazabon

Mailing list performance question
        45775 by: Fernando Costa de Almeida
        45778 by: David Dyer-Bennet

user accounts and groups for the qmail binaries and such
        45776 by: wolfgang zeikat
        45783 by: Chris, the Young One

using RBLSMTPD env var
        45782 by: Jon Rust
        45785 by: Adam McKenna
        45786 by: Chris, the Young One
        45787 by: Jon Rust
        45788 by: Jon Rust
        45789 by: Einar Bordewich
        45790 by: Chris, the Young One
        45791 by: Jon Rust

conf-split size on different FS's
        45784 by: tony.corp.quepasa.com

rcpthosts, relaying, and tcp-env 7.6
        45792 by: Todd Finney

duplicating sendmail's virtusertable
        45793 by: Sam Carleton
        45794 by: Ben Beuchler

multilog patterns
        45795 by: Ben Beuchler
        45796 by: Russ Allbery
        45797 by: Russ Allbery
        45798 by: Ben Beuchler

Administrivia:

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To bug my human owner, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

John White <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Reassured I installed the patched version with all the
> > nice features (conf-spawn=2045, conf-split=521) -> Success
> > - no error.
>
> On the Solaris 7 platforms, do you
> make setup check after you change conf-spawn and
> conf-split?

I copied the source of the patched qmail-version
(including the modified conf-spawn and conf-split) on all
platforms, did a make clean, make setup and make check.

I generally do a 'newfs' on the filesystem, which holds
the queue before re-installing and re-testing a new
qmail-version.

The installation goes into a separate directory
(/var/qmail.patched) in order to allow me to have
different qmail-versions installed for easier testing.

By
Töns
--
Linux. The dot in /.

(This post also relevant to the "bare LFs and fixcrio ramifications" thread)

Toens,

Hmm, I've been watching this thread with interest. I did post a
similar message a week ago, which you may like to take a look
at in the archive, entitled "Solaris / DoS / Broken bare LF
mailers / thousands of qmail-smtpd&qmail-queue procs", as well
as the referenced posts by TAG on 7th, 8th June. The thread
I started centred on a discussion of bare LFs (contributors
explained the ramifications), and since fixing those (fixcrio),
the systems has been behaving themselves (thank you to all
those who contributed).

Michael Boyiazis did highlight a URL (I think this message
may not have been sent to the list),

   http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q224/9/83.ASP,

which says (I quote), "With the SMTP service version 1877.19, if
you send a message to a server that issues a 4xx response to any
of the following:

     EHLO, MAIL FROM:, RCPT TO:, or DATA

The SMTP service may issue a QUIT, and immediately try again,
resulting in a potential loop."

The actual qmail-smtpd error message re bare LFs is

     451 See http://pobox.com/~djb/docs/smtplf.html

which would trigger the above fault if Microsoft's software does
indeed send bare LFs - contributors suggest it does.

That would appear to be similar to smtpstone-ing a mail server.
It would be interesting to check that smtpstone isn't generating bare
LFs, although I doubt that.

Anyway, part of my reason for posting was to speculate on why
a mailserver might get a flood of SMTP connections. The above
bare LF issue is obviously one, as are smtpstone and a DoS. In
my case, fixing the bare LF problem fixed the many-procs problem,
by fixing the thing that was triggering it, but there may still be
something that is 'broken' in Solaris 2.7. If I'm feeling brave, and
happen to be working with that system again, I'll try smtpstone-ing it...

cheers,

Andrew.

----------
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 09:06:51 -0700
From: Mail Delivery Subsystem <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Returned Mail: user [EMAIL PROTECTED] unknown!
To: Peter van Dijk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Action: failed

The following email has been returned to you.
Error 550: User [EMAIL PROTECTED] is not an existing InfoTeen.com
account. Please make sure that the email address you specified,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]@infoteen.com is valid.

Email Message Follows
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 18:13:44 +0200
From: Peter van Dijk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: some broken mailer [[EMAIL PROTECTED]: Returned mail: User unknown]

Somebody is using a *very* broken mailer.

----- Forwarded message from [EMAIL PROTECTED] -----

Date: 22 Jul 2000 08:30:11 -0700
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Returned mail: User unknown
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

*** This message originated by GCS Client Services ***

----- Delivery could not be made to the following recipients -----
Invalid Recipient: MichaelG  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  (unrecoverable error)
Invalid Recipient: qmail  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  (unrecoverable error)

RFC822 Header may follow:

Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 17:29:04 +0200
From: (Peter van Dijk) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: orbs.org accuses qmail of mailbomb relaying!

----- End forwarded message -----

Greetz, Peter.

Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 17:29:04 +0200
From: (Peter van Dijk) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

----- End forwarded message -----

Greetz, Peter.
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - Peter van Dijk [student:developer:ircoper]

Why am I getting bounces when the message is indeed getting to the list?

Also, who is GCS Client Services?

Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 08:29:08 -0400
From: (Michael T Babcock) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: (Charles Cazabon) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Yeah, I've gotten about 10 of these.  I put them into my RBL
domain with a message that should (hopefully) let the admin
of this busted mailer know something is wrong.

'Course now his mailer is constantly beating on mine trying
unsuccessfully to deliver all those bounces.  I hope this
guy pulls his head out soon...

Eric

Brett Randall wrote:

> Does anybody else get this bounceback when posting to this qmail list? I get
> it for EVERY e-mail I send to here! And I'm not bcc'ing or cc'ing to this or
> any other user... Whichever gateway is having trouble here is also probably
> defying a few internet standards by the incorrect use of a nonexistant FQDN,
> wouldn't you say?
>
> Brett.

Yea, I think I've gotten some of these, too.

In fact, sometimes I get a bounce message a MONTH or more after I posted
something to this list!

Dave

Yep, same thing here. I think someone (probably <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
since it appears in the bounces tough the original message was no addressed
to said individual) has a mail forwarder that gags with semicolon separated
addresses in the To: field.

Armando

Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 18:46:25 +0200
From: (Einar Bordewich) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

On Fri, Jul 28, 2000 at 08:02:20PM +0200, Einar Bordewich wrote:
> What is normal action from the list-owner regarding false addresses like the
> famous [EMAIL PROTECTED] ?

> BTW: It's in my badmailfrom now...

Will that help? I though the Mail From: was <> with these bounces?

You might want to consider a :deny entry in your tcpserver rules.

Regards.

On Fri, Jul 28, 2000 at 11:26:31AM -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
! You might want to consider a :deny entry in your tcpserver rules.

If you deny them, they will retry. If you allow, but send a 5xx code,
they won't (hopefully :-)).

167.234.1.10:allow,RBLSMTPD="-Good mailers don't bounce to header senders"

Cheers,
        ---Chris K.
--
 Chris, the Young One |_ Never brag about how your machines haven't been
  Auckland, New Zealand |_ hacked, or your code hasn't been broken. It's
http://cloud9.hedgee.com/ |_ guaranteed to bring the wrong kind of
 PGP: 0xCCC6114E/0x706A6AAD |_ attention. ---Neil Schneider

> On Fri, Jul 28, 2000 at 08:02:20PM +0200, Einar Bordewich wrote:
> > What is normal action from the list-owner regarding false addresses like
the
> > famous [EMAIL PROTECTED] ?
>
> > BTW: It's in my badmailfrom now...
>
> Will that help? I though the Mail From: was <> with these bounces?
>
> You might want to consider a :deny entry in your tcpserver rules.
-snip-

Nope, thats the Return-Path: field
The From: field is [EMAIL PROTECTED] , and with that in badmailfrom
gives:
220 hellriser.bordewich.net ESMTP
helo hell2000
250 hellriser.bordewich.net
mail from: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
250 ok
rcpt to: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
553 sorry, your envelope sender is in my badmailfrom list (#5.7.1)

or Chris K. might have a better solution. The result is the same with a 5xx
return code.
167.234.1.10:allow,RBLSMTPD="-Good mailers don't bounce to header senders"

Date: 28 Jul 2000 09:49:08 -0700
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

IDG New Media     Einar Bordewich
Technical Manager  Phone: +47 2336 1420
E-Mail:           [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> > On Fri, Jul 28, 2000 at 08:02:20PM +0200, Einar Bordewich wrote:
> > > What is normal action from the list-owner regarding false addresses
like
> the
> > > famous [EMAIL PROTECTED] ?
> >
> > > BTW: It's in my badmailfrom now...
> >
> > Will that help? I though the Mail From: was <> with these bounces?
> >
> > You might want to consider a :deny entry in your tcpserver rules.
> -snip-
>
> Nope, thats the Return-Path: field
> The From: field is [EMAIL PROTECTED] , and with that in
badmailfrom
> gives:
 YES, I was wrong and YOU where right, and you, you'r always right, right
;-)

sorry about that.

Chris K. example is now used.

regards

On Fri, Jul 28, 2000 at 09:03:24PM +0200, Einar Bordewich wrote:
> like
> > the

> > > Will that help? I though the Mail From: was <> with these bounces?
> > >
> > > You might want to consider a :deny entry in your tcpserver rules.
> > -snip-
> >
> > Nope, thats the Return-Path: field
> > The From: field is [EMAIL PROTECTED] , and with that in
> badmailfrom
> > gives:
>  YES, I was wrong and YOU where right, and you, you'r always right, right
> ;-)

Well, hang on a sec here...

badmailfrom is checked against the envelope senders address which *is*
the Mail From: parameter, which *is* put into the Return-Path: header.

qmail-smtpd does *not* look at the From: header at all!

I actually don't understand the last post of Einar's as the SMTP
transcript doesn't appear to be consistent with the headers in the
(assumed) corresponding email.

Regards.

Title: RE: The famous [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Boy - Andy was right when he said everyone can be famous for 15 min. -- I am the Famous [EMAIL PROTECTED] - I must apologize that everyone is getting bounced mail with my address. I have started to migrate off of a legacy email system to qmail. thought i had it working fine - but see the bounced emails. I believe that these started when i tried to send email from legacy system to new qmail system on the rxamerica.com domain. Was originally on the amstr.com domain(american stores), which switched to albertsons.com domain (which i believe is the user of gcs.gateway). I have talked to the original dns admins. to clear up the old dns records so that the MX and A records point to our new dns. but still seem to get bounced email when it goes thru the gcs.gateway(who owns it? i don't know). I am currently working with the albertsons email admins. to try and track where the problem lies. I appreciate your patience and understand your frustration.

if anyone has suggestions as to where/who is gcs.gateway so that i may chat or phone them would be greatly appreciated.

my humblest apologies,
mike garcia

On Fri, Jul 28, 2000 at 08:50:16PM +0200, Einar Bordewich wrote:

> > > famous [EMAIL PROTECTED] ?
> >
> > > BTW: It's in my badmailfrom now...
> >
> > Will that help? I though the Mail From: was <> with these bounces?
> >
> > You might want to consider a :deny entry in your tcpserver rules.
> -snip-
>
> Nope, thats the Return-Path: field
> The From: field is [EMAIL PROTECTED] , and with that in badmailfrom
> gives:

> 220 hellriser.bordewich.net ESMTP
> helo hell2000
> 250 hellriser.bordewich.net
> mail from: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> 250 ok
> rcpt to: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> 553 sorry, your envelope sender is in my badmailfrom list (#5.7.1)

Did you construct this smtp conversation or is it an actual transcript?

As I correctly surmised, the offending mail server is indeed sending
Mail From: <> and results in a Return-Path: <> which means that you cannot
put anything useful into badmailfrom to stop it.

If you are seeing something different then I suspect that you have some
intervening server doing something. And that something is as much an
offender as ns.albertsons.com if it replaces an empty envelope sender
with <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.

Regards.

> or Chris K. might have a better solution. The result is the same with a 5xx
> return code.
> 167.234.1.10:allow,RBLSMTPD="-Good mailers don't bounce to header senders"

> Date: 28 Jul 2000 09:49:08 -0700
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Returned mail: User unknown
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> --
> IDG New Media     Einar Bordewich
> Technical Manager  Phone: +47 2336 1420
> E-Mail:           [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>

> > Nope, thats the Return-Path: field
> > The From: field is [EMAIL PROTECTED] , and with that in
badmailfrom
> > gives:
>
> > 220 hellriser.bordewich.net ESMTP
> > helo hell2000
> > 250 hellriser.bordewich.net
> > mail from: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > 250 ok
> > rcpt to: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > 553 sorry, your envelope sender is in my badmailfrom list (#5.7.1)
>
> Did you construct this smtp conversation or is it an actual transcript?
-snip-

Yes, I did construct that smtp conversation based on my first opinion. When
I realized that I was wrong ( seconds after I sent the mail), I followed up
with a new mail, where I apologized and telling that you where right (and I
was wrong).

-snip-
> YES, I was wrong and YOU where right, and you, you'r always right, right
;-)

> sorry about that.
-snip-

Thanks for your information and feedback clearing up things.

regards
IDG New Media     Einar Bordewich
Technical Manager  Phone: +47 2336 1420
E-Mail:           [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> > > Will that help? I though the Mail From: was <> with these bounces?
> > >
> > > You might want to consider a :deny entry in your tcpserver rules.
> > -snip-
> >
> > Nope, thats the Return-Path: field
> > The From: field is [EMAIL PROTECTED] , and with that in
badmailfrom
> > gives:
>
> > 220 hellriser.bordewich.net ESMTP
> > helo hell2000
> > 250 hellriser.bordewich.net
> > mail from: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > 250 ok
> > rcpt to: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > 553 sorry, your envelope sender is in my badmailfrom list (#5.7.1)
>
> Did you construct this smtp conversation or is it an actual transcript?
>
> As I correctly surmised, the offending mail server is indeed sending
> Mail From: <> and results in a Return-Path: <> which means that you cannot
> put anything useful into badmailfrom to stop it.
>
> If you are seeing something different then I suspect that you have some
> intervening server doing something. And that something is as much an
> offender as ns.albertsons.com if it replaces an empty envelope sender
> with <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.
>

> Regards.
>

> > or Chris K. might have a better solution. The result is the same with a
5xx
> > return code.
> > 167.234.1.10:allow,RBLSMTPD="-Good mailers don't bounce to header
senders"

> > Date: 28 Jul 2000 09:49:08 -0700
> > From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > Subject: Returned mail: User unknown
> > To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >
> > --
> > IDG New Media     Einar Bordewich
> > Technical Manager  Phone: +47 2336 1420
> > E-Mail:           [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hi Folks;

I have qmail-1.03 running on FreeBSB and one of the virtual domains for which we
handle mail for is a small company with some users on a local NT network connected to
the net by DSL. They are using a Netscream DSL router/firewall combo.
Connections from clients to our SMTP/POP server take 25 - 50 Secs their firewall is
configured to allow everything out and nothing in (some other NT integrator is doing
this for them/to them) I went through our DNS zone files to find any problems but none
(MX is pointing to our SMTP/POP server) connections get established but just takes too
long.
We host their web site and mail services they get DSL from Pacbell.

Where else should I look for more clues obout this slow down if it is caused by our
mailserver or how to speed things up.

Dan

net admin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have qmail-1.03 running on FreeBSB and one of the virtual domains for which
> we handle mail for is a small company with some users on a local NT network
> connected to the net by DSL. They are using a Netscream DSL router/firewall
> combo.  Connections from clients to our SMTP/POP server take 25 - 50 Secs
> their firewall is configured to allow everything out and nothing in (some
> other NT integrator is doing this for them/to them) I went through our DNS
> zone files to find any problems but none (MX is pointing to our SMTP/POP
> server) connections get established but just takes too long.  We host their
> web site and mail services they get DSL from Pacbell.
>
> Where else should I look for more clues obout this slow down if it is caused
> by our mailserver or how to speed things up.

Please get your mail program to wrap long lines in future.

Turn off the name lookup and ident lookup options for tcpserver for the
instance running qmail-smtpd.  `man tcpserver` for details.

Charles

Im wondering if there is a list manager that deliveries emails
according with the domain, in a single smtp connection. Let me explain
better:
    Im trying to implement a newsletter mail system, so the same mesg
will have to be sent to a lot of users (maybe in the same domain, may be

not). Its intutive that the best way is to send the body one time for a
lot of rcpt`s, instead a lot of emails. This feature, plus some
parallelism in this proccess could make the proccess very fast.
   Before try to write something to do this, I would like to know if
someone knows a tool that does the service for me. :-)
  The choice for qmail as the MTA is based in your efficiency. I hope
that I was clear.

    Regards,

--
_________________________
Fernando Costa de Almeida

Fernando Costa de Almeida <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes on 28 July 2000 at 18:04:35
-0300

 > Im wondering if there is a list manager that deliveries emails
 > according with the domain, in a single smtp connection. Let me explain
 > better:
 >     Im trying to implement a newsletter mail system, so the same mesg
 > will have to be sent to a lot of users (maybe in the same domain, may be
 > not). Its intutive that the best way is to send the body one time for a
 > lot of rcpt`s, instead a lot of emails. This feature, plus some
 > parallelism in this proccess could make the proccess very fast.
 >    Before try to write something to do this, I would like to know if
 > someone knows a tool that does the service for me. :-)
 >   The choice for qmail as the MTA is based in your efficiency. I hope
 > that I was clear.

Qmail won't do this for you.  Qmail doesn't do multi-rcpt mails.
However, while it's intuitive, it's not always *right* that this is a
win.  We've just had *another* unpleasant round of this discussion (it
comes up frequently) so I won't start it up again if I can help it.

Qmail with ezmlm+idx is *very* good for mailing lists, including
newsletters.  It automates bounce handling better than anything else
because it uses "VERP", so that any bounce at all back to the mailing
list an be accurately and automatically recognized as to what user
caused it.  And it delivers the mails very fast.  On my otherwise very
lightly loaded system, there's a monthly newsletter that gets sent to
more than 43000 addresses (last I looked).  The system is a Pentium
166 with 96 meg of ram, and the net connectivity is 768k
household-level DSL.  The last issue of that newsletter was about 33k,
and as I say goes to over 43000 addresses.  I don't really notice when
it goes out, and the mail log for the next day isn't any bigger than
normal.  (The log two days later is big again with the bounces :-) ).
--
Photos: http://dd-b.lighthunters.net/ Minicon: http://www.mnstf.org/minicon
Bookworms: http://ouroboros.demesne.com/ SF: http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b

i am about to install qmail in a fresh linux installation ...

while looking at the qmail installation i currently have i noticed that
all the qmail* users have /bin/bash as their login shell, same with the
user alias ...

is that necessary for the programm to work properly?
i rather tend to have */passwd or /bin/true as login shells for users and
am wondering if i could install the new qmail without that /bin/bash there

greetings
wolfgang

On Fri, Jul 28, 2000 at 11:27:00PM +0200, wolfgang zeikat wrote:
! is that necessary for the programm to work properly?
! i rather tend to have */passwd or /bin/true as login shells for users and
! am wondering if i could install the new qmail without that /bin/bash there

Since no one logs in to those accounts, you can use whatever you want
as the shell. /sbin/nologin is a favourite among BSD users, otherwise
/bin/false is just as good.

        ---Chris K.
--
 Chris, the Young One |_ If you can't afford a backup system, you can't
  Auckland, New Zealand |_ afford to have important data on your computer.
http://cloud9.hedgee.com/ |_ ---Tracy R. Reed
 PGP: 0xCCC6114E/0x706A6AAD |_

I was just denying all Yesmail connections in my tcp.smtp.cdb file.
After watching the thread today on blocking mail, I wanted to use the
RBLSMTPD var instead. Like so:

   # Yesmail.com
   63.88.133.:allow,RBLSMTPD="-Yesmail email is not wanted here"
   63.89.82.:allow,RBLSMTPD="-Yesmail email is not wanted here"
   63.238.242-243.:allow,RBLSMTPD="-Yesmail email is not wanted here"
   63.79.151.:allow,RBLSMTPD="-Yesmail email is not wanted here"
   207.154.137.:allow,RBLSMTPD="-Yesmail email is not wanted here"
   207.154.208.:allow,RBLSMTPD="-Yesmail email is not wanted here"
   208.44.19.:allow,RBLSMTPD="-Yesmail email is not wanted here"
   216.80.61.240-255:allow,RBLSMTPD="-Yesmail email is not wanted here"
   216.229.132.128-143:allow,RBLSMTPD="-Yesmail email is not wanted here"
   64.208.162.128-143:allow,RBLSMTPD="-Yesmail email is not wanted here"
   216.52.151.64-95:allow,RBLSMTPD="-Yesmail email is not wanted here"

Just for fun, I added one of my own IPs to the list as a test. The test
failed. :-(

   host:~{503} $ telnet mail.vcnet.com 25
   Trying 209.239.239.15...
   Connected to mail.vcnet.com.
   Escape character is '^]'.
   220 rblsmtpd.local
   Connection closed by foreign host.
   host:~{504} $

I thought it was supposed to spit out the contents of RBLSMTPD? And no
553 either. What did I miss? (I tried with both a space after the hyphen
and without.)

jon

On Fri, Jul 28, 2000 at 03:30:34PM -0700, Jon Rust wrote:
[...]
> I thought it was supposed to spit out the contents of RBLSMTPD? And no
> 553 either. What did I miss? (I tried with both a space after the hyphen
> and without.)

Nope.  If RBLSMTPD is set, rblsmtpd skips the RBL check.

--Adam

> jon

On Fri, Jul 28, 2000 at 03:30:34PM -0700, Jon Rust wrote:
!    host:~{503} $ telnet mail.vcnet.com 25
!    Trying 209.239.239.15...
!    Connected to mail.vcnet.com.
!    Escape character is '^]'.
!    220 rblsmtpd.local
!    Connection closed by foreign host.

I presume that the connection didn't get closed immediately. I know
that rblsmtpd closes the connection after 60 seconds. If you issue
SMTP commands, they will all result in error messages (if you need
a quick SMTP reference, see http://cr.yp.to/smtp.html).

Hey, vcnet.com, aren't they those cool people hosting the boycott
Microsoft site? :-)

        ---Chris K.
--

On Fri, Jul 28, 2000 at 06:39:18PM -0400, Adam McKenna wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 28, 2000 at 03:30:34PM -0700, Jon Rust wrote:
> [...]
> > I thought it was supposed to spit out the contents of RBLSMTPD? And no
> > 553 either. What did I miss? (I tried with both a space after the hyphen
> > and without.)
>
> Nope.  If RBLSMTPD is set, rblsmtpd skips the RBL check.
>
> --Adam

I don't think we're on the same page here. If the environment variable
RBLSMTPD is set to something besides an empty string, it should give an
error code, either 4xx or 5xx depending on command line options, and
whether or not the var starts with a hyphen. It's not doing that.

I quote from the rblsmtpd man page:

"If $RBLSMTPD is set and is empty, rblsmtpd does not block mail.

"Normally, if $RBLSMTPD is set, rblsmtpd uses a 451 error code in its
limited SMTP conversation. This tells legitimate clients to try again
later. It gives innocent relay operators a chance to see the problem,
prohibit relaying, get off the RBL, and get the mail delivered.

"However, if $RBLSMTPD begins with a hyphen, rblsmtpd removes the hyphen
and uses a 553 error code. This tells legitimate clients to bounce the
message immediately."

The last paragraph is what I'm trying to achieve. Any help there?

jon

On Sat, Jul 29, 2000 at 10:39:30AM +1200, Chris, the Young One wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 28, 2000 at 03:30:34PM -0700, Jon Rust wrote:
> !    host:~{503} $ telnet mail.vcnet.com 25
> !    Trying 209.239.239.15...
> !    Connected to mail.vcnet.com.
> !    Escape character is '^]'.
> !    220 rblsmtpd.local
> !    Connection closed by foreign host.
>
> I presume that the connection didn't get closed immediately. I know
> that rblsmtpd closes the connection after 60 seconds. If you issue
> SMTP commands, they will all result in error messages (if you need
> a quick SMTP reference, see http://cr.yp.to/smtp.html).

It closes in < 1 second.

> Hey, vcnet.com, aren't they those cool people hosting the boycott
> Microsoft site? :-)

That is one of customers, yes. We comp that space to him. :->

jon

try puting into your tcp.smtp.cdb file
127.0.0.2:allow,RBLSMTPD="-Go away"

then
>telnet 127.0.0.2 25
<Trying 127.0.0.2...
<Connected to 127.0.0.2.
<Escape character is '^]'.
<220 rblsmtpd.local
>helo test
<250 rblsmtpd.local
>mail from: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
<250 rblsmtpd.local
>rcpt to: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
<553 Go away

See if that works. Just so you know you are on the right track :)

On Fri, Jul 28, 2000 at 03:53:04PM -0700, Jon Rust wrote:
! > I presume that the connection didn't get closed immediately. I know
! > that rblsmtpd closes the connection after 60 seconds. If you issue
! > SMTP commands, they will all result in error messages (if you need
! > a quick SMTP reference, see http://cr.yp.to/smtp.html).
!
! It closes in < 1 second.

Some possibilities I can see:

1. You invoked rblsmtpd with ``-t 1'' (unlikely, if you said that it
   closed in less than 1 second).

2. End of input.

3. Internal error.

You are using rblsmtpd from ucspi-tcp-0.88, aren't you? (That's the
version whose source I'm reading right now.) Also, when the connection
closes, a line of the form ``end xxxxx status yyy'' gets logged: what
value of yyy did you get? (I don't claim that any of this is anything
more than wild guesses---I don't have the magic pill today, sorry. :-))

! > Hey, vcnet.com, aren't they those cool people hosting the boycott
! > Microsoft site? :-)
!
! That is one of customers, yes. We comp that space to him. :->

Ahh, cool. :-)

        ---Chris K.
--

On Sat, Jul 29, 2000 at 11:12:12AM +1200, Chris, the Young One wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 28, 2000 at 03:53:04PM -0700, Jon Rust wrote:
> ! It closes in < 1 second.
>
> Some possibilities I can see:
>
> 1. You invoked rblsmtpd with ``-t 1'' (unlikely, if you said that it
>    closed in less than 1 second).

Ah yes. '-t 2' actually. Guess I really should have timed it before
claiming < 1. :-/ Damnit. So it was just timing out the connection
before it got a chance to say "553 yada yada yada." I did a copy and
paste of HELO, mail from, etc and it did give the 553 error message.

Thanks. I gotta go increase that 2 second timeout. What was I thinking?!

jon

Hi,

I found a post from Russell Nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> dated 2000, Jan 01
(Thank you Russell) where he recommends:

 a "reasonable [conf-split] size given the performance of the file
 system on the available hardware.  That is, in my experience, about
 3,000 for ext2 fs."

I have been having large queue performance issues on Linux I think are
related to the conf-split. I have changed my conf-split to 2999 (on a
single IDE disk, single proc pent II 350) but have not had a queue spike
yet.

When I was investigating this problem I came to the conclusion that I
should change the conf-split, but I completely missed the guess on what a
large jump I should make. I originally moved it to 83.

I also run Solaris 7.0 (SPARC) and FreeBSD 3.4 (Intel), are there maximum
conf-split recommendations for single proc, single IDE disk systems with
UFS and FFS?

--
Tony Hansmann ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Director of Technical Services

Hi,

I'm trying to set up a virtual pop server, and I've run into a problem that
I can't solve.  I've been talking with a knowledgeable friend and qmail
advocate, and I have him stumped.  He recommended that I forward my problem
to this list, in the hope of finding a solution.

Rather than restate everything and probably get something wrong, my
discussion with him follows.

qmail is running, I can inject mail into it and it will be delivered.  I
also have a few accounts set up on it, and mail is being properly delivered
to them.   I can also mail directly from the command line on the machine.

The problem: domain.org is the domain that is set up on qmail.
[EMAIL PROTECTED] is a valid account on the system.  If I try to send mail
to any host not listed in control/rcpthosts, it
bounces with a 553, "sorry that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts".

I thought, "That looks suspiciously like a FAQ".   Sure enough. question
5.4 seemed relevant, reproduced here for reference:
5.4. How do I allow selected clients to use this host as a relay? I see
that qmail-smtpd rejects messages to any host not listed in
control/rcpthosts.

Answer: Three steps. First, install tcp-wrappers, available separately,
including hosts_options. Second, change your qmail-smtpd line in
inetd.conf to

    smtp stream tcp nowait qmaild /usr/local/bin/tcpd
    /var/qmail/bin/tcp-env /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd

(all on one line) and give inetd a HUP. Third, in tcpd's hosts.allow,
make a line setting the environment variable RELAYCLIENT to the empty
string for the selected clients:

    tcp-env: 1.2.3.4, 1.2.3.5: setenv = RELAYCLIENT

Here 1.2.3.4 and 1.2.3.5 are the clients' IP addresses. qmail-smtpd
ignores control/rcpthosts when RELAYCLIENT is set. (It also appends
RELAYCLIENT to each envelope recipient address. See question 5.5 for an
application.)

I found a message in the mail archives that says that removing rcpthosts
will open up the machine, but this is of course not a solution.  I moved
rcpthosts as a test, and all messages are delivered properly.

My /etc/inetd.conf line reads:

smtp stream tcp nowait qmaild /usr/sbin/tcpd  /var/qmail/bin/tcp-env
/var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd

and my /etc/hosts.allow line reads:

tcp-env: 209.218.13.127: setenv = RELAYCLIENT

209.218.13.127 is the ip address of my linux box here at home, behind which
my Windows box running Eudora (crash.domain.com) lives.

Looking at tcpdmatch, I can't understand why this is being declined:

[root@sonata tcp_wrappers_7.6]# /usr/sbin/tcpdmatch -d tcp-env 209.218.13.127
client:   address  209.218.13.127
server:   process  tcp-env
access:   granted

>Let's see if I understand what you are doing.
>
>You have a machine which I will call mail.domain.org. You have setup
>qmail as the MTA. If you use a program on that machine to send mail from
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] to [EMAIL PROTECTED], it works. If you go over
>to otherDomain.com and send mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED], it gets delivered.
>
>Correct so far?

This is correct.

>Now you take a windows box, crash.otherDomain.com, and you configure
>Eudora to get mail from mail.domain.org through POP3, and to use
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] as the sender, and that mail.domain.org will be your SMTP
>host.
>
>This doesn't work. Right?

I can pop mail off the server using the [EMAIL PROTECTED] account just
fine with Eudora.  Mail sent to any valid address in domain.org is
delivered properly.  The problem comes in sending mail to any domain not
listed in control/rcpthosts from any @domain.org account, when the mail
originates from the Windows box.   mail.domain.org refuses to accept the
message for delivery with the mentioned error.

(
Here's a handy chart in case anyone is having a problem following that mess:

The domain other.com is in control/rcpthosts.  The domain other2.com is not.

Originating Machine     Sender                  Recipient               Result
mail.domain.org [EMAIL PROTECTED]        [EMAIL PROTECTED]        success
mail.domain.org [EMAIL PROTECTED]        [EMAIL PROTECTED] success
mail.domain.org [EMAIL PROTECTED]        [EMAIL PROTECTED]        success
crash.other.com [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]        success
crash.domain.org        [EMAIL PROTECTED]        [EMAIL PROTECTED]        success
crash.domain.org        [EMAIL PROTECTED]        [EMAIL PROTECTED] success
crash.domain.org        [EMAIL PROTECTED]        [EMAIL PROTECTED]        failure
)

>Things to note:
>
>1. qmail does not include a POP3 or IMAP daemon. Tell qmail to use
>mailboxes instead of maildirs and use any daemon, or let qmail use
>maildirs and get a POP3 or IMAP daemon that understands them.

I'm running the qmail-pop3d daemon, and it appears to be working fine.

>2. qmail doesn't want to be insecure out of the box, so it doesn't allow
>relaying. What you want is to set up relaying for the relevant external
>boxes that you want to use mail.baldmonkey.org as their smarthost.

That's what I think I'm doing by adding that odd line to
/etc/hosts_allow.  I'm referencing question 5.4 in the FAQ, which seems to
address my problem.

I think that the problem might be that I don't have hosts_options enabled
in my tcp-wrappers.   I'm running a 7.6 RedHat RPM, and I don't know if
hosts_options is enabled or not.  I'm assuming that it is not, based on the
docs in the source distribution.   Unfortunately. I can't get version 7.5
to compile, and I can't find version 8.

This is the error that I get after running 'make linux' on the 7.6 dist:

-DBROKEN_SO_LINGER  -Dvsyslog=myvsyslog -DALWAYS_HOSTNAME -c diag.c
cc -O -DFACILITY=LOG_MAIL        -DHOSTS_ACCESS
-DPARANOID  -DGETPEERNAME_BUG -DBROKEN_FGETS -DLIBC_
CALLS_STRTOK   -DDAEMON_UMASK=022 -DREAL_DAEMON_DIR=\"/usr/sbin\"
-DPROCESS_OPTIONS  -DSEVERITY=LOG_
INFO     -DRFC931_TIMEOUT=10  -DHOSTS_DENY=\"/etc/hosts.deny\"
-DHOSTS_ALLOW=\"/etc/hosts.allow\"
-DBROKEN_SO_LINGER  -Dvsyslog=myvsyslog -DALWAYS_HOSTNAME -c percent_m.c
percent_m.c:17: conflicting types for `sys_errlist'
/usr/include/stdio.h:553: previous declaration of `sys_errlist'
make[1]: *** [percent_m.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/tcp_wrappers_7.6'
make: *** [linux] Error 2

That's everything.  I again apologize for the length of the post, but I
wanted to include every snippet of information that I have so far.   I've
just subscribed to the list, so if anyone who replies could be so kind as
to cc me so I don't miss any messages, I'd appreciate it.

Many thanks,
Todd Finney

I am switching over to qmail from sendmail.  I am no expert in sendmail,
I simply know that sendmail's virtusertable would allow incoming mail
sent to [EMAIL PROTECTED] to be mapped to [EMAIL PROTECTED]  I need
to do this with qmail, how do I go about doing that?

I also need to change the from header from [EMAIL PROTECTED] to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  I am trying to stealth my user account because
it is the only account able to su in as root.  I would prefer if folks
do not know the user name on the account:)  (No, it isn't sam, that is
simply my example <g>)

Sam

On Fri, Jul 28, 2000 at 08:52:16PM -0400, Sam Carleton wrote:

> I am switching over to qmail from sendmail.  I am no expert in sendmail,
> I simply know that sendmail's virtusertable would allow incoming mail
> sent to [EMAIL PROTECTED] to be mapped to [EMAIL PROTECTED]  I need
> to do this with qmail, how do I go about doing that?
>
> I also need to change the from header from [EMAIL PROTECTED] to
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]  I am trying to stealth my user account because
> it is the only account able to su in as root.  I would prefer if folks
> do not know the user name on the account:)  (No, it isn't sam, that is
> simply my example <g>)

Both of these can be accomplished using fastforward, available from
http://www.qmail.org.

If, however, you have a large number of virtual domains to manage, I
highly recommend vpopmail.  This is available from
http://www.inter7.com/vpopmail

Ben

--
Ben Beuchler                                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
MAILER-DAEMON                                         (612) 321-9290 x101

I'm trying to use multilog's pattern matching to not log the non-stop
health checks from our load balancers. This is the command line I'm
using:

exec /usr/local/bin/setuidgid qmaill /usr/local/bin/multilog t \
    s10000000 \
    -*216.243.128.254* \
    -*slb01* \
    /var/log/qmail/smtpd

And here's the log entries I'm trying to filter out:

@4000000039824fe91baaa634 tcpserver: pid 9376 from 216.243.128.254
@4000000039824fe91c11535c tcpserver: ok 9376 mail.bitstream.net:216.243.128.140:25
slb01.bitstream.net:216.243.128.254::1035

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be filtering it out.  I'm assuming
that I'm misunderstanding the pattern matching abilities of multilog...
And while I've got your attention, any way to tell multilog to reject
the 'end <pid>' entry corresonding to the same entries?  Probably not.

Thanks,
Ben

--

Ben Beuchler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I'm trying to use multilog's pattern matching to not log the non-stop
> health checks from our load balancers. This is the command line I'm
> using:

> exec /usr/local/bin/setuidgid qmaill /usr/local/bin/multilog t \
>     s10000000 \
>     -*216.243.128.254* \
>     -*slb01* \
>     /var/log/qmail/smtpd

> And here's the log entries I'm trying to filter out:

> @4000000039824fe91baaa634 tcpserver: pid 9376 from 216.243.128.254
> @4000000039824fe91c11535c tcpserver: ok 9376 mail.bitstream.net:216.243.128.140:25
>slb01.bitstream.net:216.243.128.254::1035

multilog filter patterns don't work like filename globs.  You want:

'-* * * * * *:216.243.128.254'

instead.  (There are several other ways of writing it too.)

--
Russ Allbery ([EMAIL PROTECTED])             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

Russ Allbery <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Ben Beuchler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>> I'm trying to use multilog's pattern matching to not log the non-stop
>> health checks from our load balancers. This is the command line I'm
>> using:

>> exec /usr/local/bin/setuidgid qmaill /usr/local/bin/multilog t \
>>     s10000000 \
>>     -*216.243.128.254* \
>>     -*slb01* \
>>     /var/log/qmail/smtpd

>> And here's the log entries I'm trying to filter out:

>> @4000000039824fe91baaa634 tcpserver: pid 9376 from 216.243.128.254
>> @4000000039824fe91c11535c tcpserver: ok 9376 mail.bitstream.net:216.243.128.140:25
>slb01.bitstream.net:216.243.128.254::1035

> multilog filter patterns don't work like filename globs.  You want:

> '-* * * * * *:216.243.128.254'

Sorry, '-* * * * * *:216.243.128.254*'

--

On Fri, Jul 28, 2000 at 09:14:50PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:

> >> @4000000039824fe91baaa634 tcpserver: pid 9376 from 216.243.128.254
> >> @4000000039824fe91c11535c tcpserver: ok 9376
>mail.bitstream.net:216.243.128.140:25 slb01.bitstream.net:216.243.128.254::1035
>
> > multilog filter patterns don't work like filename globs.  You want:
>
> > '-* * * * * *:216.243.128.254'
>
> Sorry, '-* * * * * *:216.243.128.254*'

OK, I guess that make an odd sort of sense.  Thanks!

Ben