Brett Randall wrote:

> Hi there
>
> I am curious what most people do with their qmail logs (generated by
> multilog, running under the supervise and tcpserver daemons). Do most people
> rotate them and have old ones automatically erased, or do you archive them
> for later usage, or even weirder do many people just leave their logs for
> all eternity to grow up to the current size of the net? I use qmail-mrtg-1.0
> (love it! the boss can't get enough of it...) to report on the logs, just as
> a piece of off-hand information.
>
> Thanks!
>
> /BR
>
> Manager
> InterPlanetary Solutions
> http://ipsware.com/

I archive my qmail logs every month and keep them for reference in case
someone asks about a e-mail or date of something.  I used it not to long
ago when a person's pc crashed and they lost their address book and
needed a certain address.  I was able to use grep (handy small program)
and search for the address.  They knew what month and what week they
last sent a message to that address so it wasn't to hard to find.  I
haven't used a report program on them what type of reports can you get?

                        Thanks,
                        Dale