"Aaron L. Meehan" wrote:

> Quoting Dale Miracle ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):
> > "Ihnen, David" wrote:
> [...]
> > > SO - My conclusion is that the system *MUST* be talking to some other
> > > service, than qmail-smtpd, or it would say something more like "syntax error
> > > (#5.5.4)" or "out of memory (#4.3.0)", rather than just "4.7.1".
> > >
> > > Troubleshoot the client's settings and the IP path.  Maybe its trading off
> > > to different smtp servers?  Maybe the dns or IP he's going to maps to more
> > > than one server?
> > >
> > > Of course, my source analysis may be flawed, and I invite all to look it
> > > over.
> > >
> > > Netscape source: http://lxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/search
> > >
> > > David (who is having more fun that he probably is allowed to.)
> >
> > Thanks for looking that up.  I set my concurrency remote to 120 so that
> > should take care of the back log during busy periods.  Hopefully that
> > will also get rid of this problem.  I talked with the user and he ok
>
> Your concurrency remote setting has no bearing on how many smtp
> connections tcpserver will allow.  Also, tcpserver does not output
> smtp status codes when it reaches its configured connection limit (set
> with the "-c" switch).  That's why I feel special attention should be
> paid to the paragraph written by Mr. Ihnen that I've quoted above.

I know the remote setting and how many connection tcpserver will allow
have no bearing.
I was having two problems, 1. my queue at times was backing up to much
max'ing out my deliveries. 2. A user was getting an error in netscape
when he tried to send mail but didn't happen very frequently (about 10
times last month and about half that this month so far).
I agree with Mr. Ihnen conclusion and was merely stating that for my one
problem I raised my concurrency remote to 120 and I was saying (with
fingers crossed) that I hope this problem will go away but knowing that
it is most likely something else entirely.  Sort of like a 2 for 1 fix
which doesn't happen often enough...normally its like fix one problem
break something else. ;)
I have done some research and have found this in my maillog.  He uses
the aol dialup e-mail for junk e-mail and etc but uses mine as his
primary e-mail source.  I have sent him some mail to his e-mail address
and found this error while delivering his mail in the maillog.  I know
they defer quite bit of mail from time to time but I have never see dns
failure messages.  Problem with aol mail servers is a given and widely
known, a great part of my back log at time is all the mail going to aol.

Aug 15 22:14:31 atlas qmail: 966392071.402535 starting delivery 662: msg
28806 to remote [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Aug 15 22:14:31 atlas qmail: 966392071.404950 status: local 0/10 remote
1/20
Aug 15 22:14:48 atlas qmail: 966392088.232922 delivery 662: deferral:
Connected_to_152.163.224.66_but_sender_was_rejected./Remote_host_said:_421_SERVICE_NOT_AVAILABLE,_TEMPORARY_DNS_FAILURE/
Aug 15 22:14:48 atlas qmail: 966392088.234289 status: local 0/10 remote
0/20

I have searched through the mail log and only aol has this error,
actually I don't many deferal's mostly aol and Time warner cable's cable
modem service (or dis service as some call it) are pretty much the only
ones.  So it looks like they have a dns problem some where in their
system and it could possibly affect the dialup connections.
I am going to keep an eye on this problem and see what happens.  I asked
the guy to let me know with date, times and ip address if he has a
problem again.  I looked at his settings and they look fine.  I think it
is probably as David pointed out an ip route or dns fault.

--

Dale Miracle
System Administrator