[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 02, 2000 at 02:48:41PM -0300, Mark Walsh wrote:
> >
> > I guess on top of that, just noticed that I no longer have a LOG file.  I
> > had removed the MESSAGES file to clear up space, and no file was recreated
> > by qmail.  Was I suppose to recreate one?
>
> This is a question for syslogd rather than qmail. But yes, syslogd, in it's
> wisdom will not create a log file if it doesn't exist. It can totally fill up
> your partition once one does exist of course. All part of the byzantine
> security model of syslogd.

   Oups, syslog recreate his log files. Just send
   a SIGHUP to your syslogd process.

   It is easy to rotate your logs with a script like that :

      mv /var/adm/messages /sparespare/messages.<date>
      kill -HUP <pid of syslogd>
      compress(gzip) /sparespare/messages.<date>

--
André Michaud
Direction générale des télécomunications