qmail Digest 10 Nov 2000 11:00:01 -0000 Issue 1179

Topics (messages 51890 through 51957):

Compiling problems?
        51890 by: Stian Brekmo
        51891 by: Michael Maier
        51892 by: Mads E Eilertsen

Help - Serious Spam Attack
        51893 by: Expert
        51895 by: Petr Danecek

Please Help. courier SMTP or Qmail SMTP
        51894 by: suresh

Re: qmail on Mac OSX?
        51896 by: Faried Nawaz
        51941 by: Nathan J. Mehl

Re: Dots in .qmail-names
        51897 by: Charles Cazabon

Re: How maybe times qmail will retry send the bounce email?
        51898 by: Greg Owen
        51899 by: Charles Cazabon

Re: VERP and Lotus
        51900 by: Ben Beuchler
        51901 by: Ben Beuchler
        51911 by: Ben Beuchler

Qmail-LDAP
        51902 by: Emil Dávila
        51906 by: Charles Cazabon

Re: Am I relaying?
        51903 by: Jan Knepper
        51908 by: Roger Walker
        51920 by: Charles Cazabon

qmail 1.04
        51904 by: Russell Nelson
        51912 by: Ruprecht Helms
        51914 by: Russell Nelson
        51923 by: Olivier M.
        51925 by: Ben Beuchler
        51927 by: Anton Pirnat
        51932 by: Dave Sill
        51933 by: Greg Cope
        51935 by: Goran Blazic
        51937 by: markd.bushwire.net
        51938 by: Frank D. Cringle

Does qmail-pop3d lock the mailbox?
        51905 by: mark.sidell.org
        51953 by: Gjermund Sorseth

SMTP login?
        51907 by: Jack Barnett
        51919 by: Kris Kelley
        51921 by: Charles Cazabon
        51926 by: Jack Barnett

Aliases
        51909 by: Pierre-Yves Deslandes
        51922 by: Charles Cazabon

Re: RFC822 compliant?
        51910 by: Brian
        51936 by: Brian

qmail xinetd RH7
        51913 by: Vu Vuong
        51931 by: mark.sidell.org
        51939 by: Expert
        51943 by: Ricardo Cerqueira

Script for adding new qmailusers
        51915 by: Ruprecht Helms
        51950 by: Ruprecht Helms
        51951 by: defender of the protocol

assign config file question
        51916 by: Tony Ennis
        51928 by: Timothy L. Mayo

bounceroute? -- how to offload bounces
        51917 by: Dave Kitabjian

Re: Need to delete bulk mail from the Q
        51918 by: Ben Beuchler

Authenticated SMTP (was: Re: SMTP login?)
        51924 by: Casey Allen Shobe

How-To xinetd RH7 smtp
        51929 by: Vu Vuong

Re: relay-ctrl does not work
        51930 by: Oliver Lehmann
        51954 by: Michael Maier

Courier
        51934 by: Dave Sill
        51940 by: Ben Beuchler
        51942 by: Peter van Dijk
        51944 by: Jason Haar

Possible to Log usernames with qmail-pop3d?
        51945 by: Jamin A. Brown
        51947 by: Jon Rust

SSL Support
        51946 by: Eduardo Augusto Alvarenga

cc incoming mail
        51948 by: Kimberly Vher
        51949 by: Andy Bradford
        51956 by: Michael Maier

Re: Return receipt
        51952 by: Daniel POGAC

No delivery
        51955 by: Pierre-Yves Deslandes

Newbie question about Remote Mailbox
        51957 by: Christophe.Andreoli.nse.de

Administrivia:

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To bug my human owner, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

When I make qmail and other qmail related programs I get this error:

maildirwatch.c: In function `main':
maildirwatch.c:62: warning: return type of `main' is not `int'

this happens on most, if not all .c files.

Anybody know how I can fix this? What effects this have?

I'm running a Red Hat Linux release 6.2 (Zoot)
Kernel 2.2.16-3 on an i686

I 'm having big troubles getting qmail to work and are wondering if this is
the problem. I would appreciate promt replys since the server now is
without email capabilities ...

Thanks in advance,
-Stian

Stian Brekmo wrote:

> maildirwatch.c: In function `main':
> maildirwatch.c:62: warning: return type of `main' is not `int'

This is quite normal! That is because the main Function has Return Type void.
CU,
 Michael
--^..^--------------------------------------------------
  michael maier  -  system & development administrator
  flatfox ag, hanauer landstrasse 196a
  d-60314 frankfurt am main
  fon    +49.(0)69.50 95 98-308
  fax    +49.(0)69.50 95 98-101
  email  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  url    http://www.flatfox.com -  m a k e  m y  d a y

On Thu, 9 Nov 2000, Stian Brekmo wrote:

> maildirwatch.c:62: warning: return type of `main' is not `int'

These messages seems to be normal when compiling on RHL.

> I 'm having big troubles getting qmail to work

Could you be more specific?
At what point in the INSTALL instructions does things stop working?

Mads

Hi ,

        I'm using Qmail with spam control but , there are someone forcing to
use my server to spam . Yesterday I received about 8000 Mailer-Daemon emails
in my postmaster account . I checked the logs when this emails were arriving
and I saw the message  "sorry, _no_mailbox_here_by_that_name".
        When I looked at the body of this emails , I saw that someone was
generating a randomic user and adding my domain so , It sent the messages to
various email server that didn't accept the message and returned the message
to my domain .
        Please , I need some help urgentily !

                            Roberto Samarone Araujo

Hi,

this topic has been already discussed on this list few times.

If I understand you clearly, the problem is this: someone has a huuge list
of email addresses where he wants to deliver spam. In this list are
thousands of old addresses. The spammer does not want to get all these
error messages back and therefore he forges the "From:" part of the
headers, so it looks as if someone in your domain was sending these
spams. Therefore all the error messages go to you. Since your server
must bounce these messages back and some of these bounces are unsuccessful,
they end up in your mailbox.

The only solution that I am able to come up with, is to stop bouncing
messages. You can do this by creating an empty ~alias/.qmail-default
file. After that, [EMAIL PROTECTED] will be accepted and
immediately forgotten.

However, this has some drawbacks. If someone misspells your address,
neither him nor you will find out. You can write a script that does some
heuristics and bounces the messages back only if they come from, say, few
known domains. Or opposite, you can bounce all messages which do not
origin from your spammer.

Petr

btw, can I see a sample with full headers?

--

Our mailing system has near about 2 lacks users and currently we are on
NT system. Now we are planning to move to solaris system. I am

I have successfuly installed courier with MSSQL database but could not get
qmail working with MSSQL database. That's why I am going for courier
servers.
Is there anybody having such userbase and using courier servers ( smtp,
pop , IMAP ) ?

Please Help.
Thanx

Send and receive mail in Indian languages
Register free at http://www.mailjol.com

Matt Harrington <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

  Has anyone successfully installed qmail on Mac OSX public beta?  i get
  this far:

Remove "-s" from conf-ld, or try changing it to "-x".

I ran into that on OpenStep 4.1, of all places.

Faried.
--
                              self name.
                                       "Jesus Christ!"  "Not quite."

In the immortal words of Faried Nawaz ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):

> Remove "-s" from conf-ld, or try changing it to "-x".
> I ran into that on OpenStep 4.1, of all places.

Not exactly surprising: "Mac OS X" == "OpenStep 6.0" for all intents
and purporses.

-n

------------------------------------------------------------<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
"The beauty you like is precisely that which escapes you."    (--Issey Miyake)
<http://www.blank.org/memory/>------------------------------------------------

Eric Garff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Peter Green wrote:
> >
> > Further, Mr. Cazabon did NOT treat anyone ``like an idiot''. He *did* say,
> > basically, RTFM even while pointing out the exact FM. What exactly would you
> > have him do, reproduce the documentation for the mailing list everytime the
> > question comes up? That's why there is documentation at all!

> I feel that he did treat him like an idiot with the blatant statement "It's
> documented, so it must be true.", it's a statement of "Haha, a opportunity to
> be snide".

In my original mail, my (slightly snide) comment about "it's documented, and
therefore true" was intended to be humourous, not demeaning.  Regardless of how
it came across, it was followed immediately by:

> Read any of the numerous qmail FAQs, or the man page for dot-qmail.  Pay
> particular attention to the "Extension Addresses" section.

So I pointed him to the precise section of the particular manpage which
documented the behaviour he was asking about.  I thought that was about as
useful an answer as he could have received; after all, he might forget the
specifics of how qmail-local handled extension addresses, but he might be
able to remember that they were documented in the dot-qmail manpage.

Charles

P.S.  Thank you to Mr. Green for the support.

> If a email bounced back, how offen the qmail will try to send
> it again?
> try how many times?

        "Bounce" implies permanent error from the remote end or inability to
connect to the remote within the appropriate time.  No mail system (except,
um, Outlook) retries bounced mail.  However, for temporary errors:

        See queuelifetime in 'man qmail-send'
        See "Does qmail back off from dead hosts?" in the FAQ.

> and how long the qmail will give up?

        See queuelifetime in 'man qmail-send'

> If qmail give up, how it process the bounced email? delete it
> from queue
> and forward it to Mail-daemon@localhost?

        Bounces are returned to the sender.  If the bounce bounces, it'll
end up in the local postmaster account.

> Can we control  the retry interval

        No - you don't really want to, anyway.

> and the longest waiting time?

        Yes - see queuelifetime in 'man qmail-send'

> Is it possible qmail forget a mail in the queue?

        Unlikely.

> if so, how can we dump it out?

        If you want to force it to bounce before the queuelifetime is up,
see the following tip from www.qmail.org/top.html:

"Frederik Vermeulen says: If you don't want a specific undeliverable mail to
sit in the queue any longer, you can make it reach the queuelifetime by
running touch -d '1 week ago' on its queue/info file. It will then be
bounced after one more delivery attempt."

--
        gowen -- Greg Owen -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Eric Wang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I don't very understand the qmail delivery procedure.
> I got couple questions.
>
> If a email bounced back, how offen the qmail will try to send it again?
> try how many times?

If the message bounces (i.e. permanent error with a 5xx code), it will not
be tried again.  It will be returned to the envelope sender.  All MTAs should
behave this way.

On the other hand, if there is a temporary error (4xx code, also known as a
deferral), qmail will retry periodically for a period of time set by
/var/qmail/control/queuelifetime, which defaults to one week.

If you need more details, there is a table of retry intervals for the default
queuelifetime in "Life with qmail" by Dave Sill.

> If qmail give up, how it process the bounced email? delete it from queue
> and forward it to Mail-daemon@localhost?

It goes to the SMTP envelope sender.

> Is it possible qmail forget a mail in the queue? if so, how can we dump
> it out?

Wait a week and it goes away on its own.  To modify the queue manually,
you must stop qmail first.  Read about this on www.qmail.org first.

Charles

On Thu, Nov 09, 2000 at 10:41:21AM +0100, Markus Stumpf wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 08, 2000 at 04:46:29PM -0800, Ben Beuchler wrote:
> > Connected to scooby.helpsystems.com.
> > Escape character is '^]'.
> > 220 SMTP service ready
>
> This doesn't look like a Lotus Mailserver.

Based on what some others have posted, I think you're right.

> > helo doofus
> > 250 Requested mail action okay, completed
> > mail from:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > 553 Requested action not taken: mailbox name not allowed
>
> I'd say that is a completely screwed up smtp server or maybe a firewall.

I'll ask 'em about firewalls...

> I usually simply ignore these errors, because I am really tired to try
> to work around the 1000th broken mailserver out there written by ppl or a
> company or maintained by someone who doesn't have a clue.
> They don't pay someone who knows what he's doing, so why should I invest
> time (and thus my company's money) just to get mail through their
> broken system.
> I'd also do myself a favour and save some bits of bandwidth and cpu cycles
> and block those hosts/addresses (tcpcontrol and/or badmailfrom).

The problem is that we're an ISP.  The people who bought the mailing
list are the ones behind the broken box, whatever it may be.  They
either get their messages or take their business elsewhere.

I'll pursue the firewall angle today.

Thanks...

Ben

--
Ben Beuchler                                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
MAILER-DAEMON                                         (612) 321-9290 x101

On Thu, Nov 09, 2000 at 03:16:31PM +1100, Brett Randall wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Nov 2000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > [insyte@blah insyte]$ telnet scooby.helpsystems.com 25
> > Trying 209.32.71.125...
> > Connected to scooby.helpsystems.com.
> > Escape character is '^]'.
> > 220 SMTP service ready
> > helo doofus
> > 250 Requested mail action okay, completed
> > mail from:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > 553 Requested action not taken: mailbox name not allowed
> > quit
> > 221 SMTP server closing transmission channel
> > Connection closed by foreign host.
> > [insyte@blah insyte]$
>
> 220 notes.crazy.com ESMTP Service (Lotus Domino Release 5.0.4) ready
> at Thu, 9 Nov 2000 15:12:27 +1100
> helo doofus
> 250 notes.crazy.com Hello doofus ([10.0.0.1]), pleased to meet you
> mail from:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> 250 [EMAIL PROTECTED] Sender OK
>
> No probs here.

My session and yours don't look at all similar.  Odd.

Has anyone seen a session similar to mine before?  I have no idea what I
was talking to, as it certainly doesn't appear to have been a Lotus
Domino box as I was informed.

Ben

--

On Wed, Nov 08, 2000 at 11:07:00PM -0800, Ben Beuchler wrote:

> 220 SMTP service ready
> helo doofus
> 250 Requested mail action okay, completed
> mail from:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> 553 Requested action not taken: mailbox name not allowed
> quit
> 221 SMTP server closing transmission channel

Just in case anyone encounters a similar problem, it was traced back to
a "Watchguard" firewall that was prohibiting the "=" in SMTP
transactions.  Turned that off and it works like a charm.

Thanks for all your help!

Ben

--
Ben Beuchler                                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
MAILER-DAEMON                                         (612) 321-9290 x101
Bitstream Underground                                   www.bitstream.net

Hi:

I'm using qmail, and I want to use LDAP for authentication, do you thing
it's a good idea or there are better options (MySQL for example)...
...I've about 35k users.
Where could I find information about Qmail-LDAP combination?

Regards,

Em@il

Emil Dávila <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm using qmail, and I want to use LDAP for authentication, do you thing
> it's a good idea or there are better options (MySQL for example)...
> ...I've about 35k users.
> Where could I find information about Qmail-LDAP combination?

There's lots of pointers to qmail+LDAP or qmail+MySQL at www.qmail.org.

Charles

"Aaron L. Meehan" wrote:

> Quoting Al Sparks ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):
> > >     I immediately added this host to my /etc/hosts.deny file for
> > > tcp-env and the connections stopped after the first two refusals.
> >
> > A good security practice is to deny everything in your hosts.deny file,
> > and make specific exceptions to that policy in your hosts.allow file.
>
> Indeed.  But think again about what you just said and its implications
> for accepting _email_ from the Internet.

What do you mean "accepting email from the Internet"?
That only would be a problem if you have "roaming" users AFAIK.
I tell my roaming users to use the SMTP of the provider they use to dial-in.
No problems experienced so far.

Don't worry, be Kneppie!
Jan

--
Jan Knepper
Smartsoft, LLC

http://www.smartsoft.cc/
http://www.mp3.com/pianoprincess

Phone : 609-628-4260
FAX   : 609-628-1267
FAX   : 303-845-6415 http://www.fax4free.com/

Phone : 020-873-3837 http://www.xoip.nl/ (Dutch)
FAX   : 020-873-3837 http://www.xoip.nl/ (Dutch)

    -- Charles Forsythe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

On Thu, 9 Nov 2000, Jan Knepper wrote:

> "Aaron L. Meehan" wrote:
>
> > Quoting Al Sparks ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):
> > >
> > > A good security practice is to deny everything in your hosts.deny file,
> > > and make specific exceptions to that policy in your hosts.allow file.
> >
> > Indeed.  But think again about what you just said and its implications
> > for accepting _email_ from the Internet.
>
> What do you mean "accepting email from the Internet"?
> That only would be a problem if you have "roaming" users AFAIK.
> I tell my roaming users to use the SMTP of the provider they use to dial-in.
> No problems experienced so far.

        I believe the issue is that if you deny everything, you cannot be
using QMail to accept incoming mail...

--
Roger Walker                         <http://www.rat-hole.com>
Voice/Fax 1-780-440-2685             <http://www.man-from-linux.com>

Jan Knepper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "Aaron L. Meehan" wrote:
> > > A good security practice is to deny everything in your hosts.deny file,
> > > and make specific exceptions to that policy in your hosts.allow file.
> >
> > Indeed.  But think again about what you just said and its implications
> > for accepting _email_ from the Internet.
>
> What do you mean "accepting email from the Internet"?
> That only would be a problem if you have "roaming" users AFAIK.

I believe the point is that if you only accept connections to your SMTP port
from the hosts in hosts.allow, you won't be able to receive mail from anywhere
else on the 'net.

Charles

We need a qmail 1.04.  The instructions in INSTALL are out of date.
People should be told to use ucspi-tcp and daemontools.  The software
is fine.  It's just the documentation that needs to change.  As
always, I'm happy to do the work, if Dan is too busy.

Why am I so adament that qmail-1.04 MUST be released?  To reduce
support costs and help people more quickly.  A potential customer sent
me the following question:

   Is there any way or any command by which i can mannually push all
   the mails to required destination which r there in the queue.

Of course it's a FAQ, but I would really *really* like to tell him
``Just do this: svc -a /service/qmail''.  I can't do that, though,
because not everyone installs qmail that way.  Instead, I have to tell
him "You have to send an alarm signal to qmail-send."  And he has to
figure out how to do that on his system.

--
-russ nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  http://russnelson.com
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok |

At 15:36 09.11.00 +0000, Russell Nelson wrote:
>We need a qmail 1.04.

Is there a new release (qmail 1.04.) in stable version.
Where can I find it and where I can find a tutorial on it.

Regards,
Ruprecht

INTERNOLIX   Standards for Ebusiness

INTERNOLIX AG
Ruprecht Helms
System-Engineer

http://www.internolix.com
mail:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Weiherstr. 20                    Tel: +49-[0]7533-9945-71
78465 Konstanz                   Fax: +49-[0]7533-9945-79

Ruprecht Helms writes:
 > At 15:36 09.11.00 +0000, Russell Nelson wrote:
 > >We need a qmail 1.04.
 >
 > Is there a new release (qmail 1.04.) in stable version.

No.  I'm suggesting that we need a qmail 1.04.  It need only change
the documentation.  The software is perfectly fine, although you could
argue that it needs a qmail-conf program just like djbdns has.  You
could also argue that virtualdomains and -owner files don't work
right.

--

On Thu, Nov 09, 2000 at 03:36:53PM -0000, Russell Nelson wrote:
> We need a qmail 1.04.  The instructions in INSTALL are out of date.
> People should be told to use ucspi-tcp and daemontools.

I 100% agree with that.

The most usefull patches should also be included in the
official distribution, with for example a good ./configure
to select the one you need.

Regards,
Olivier
 Olivier Mueller - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - PGPkeyID: 0E84D2EA - Switzerland
qmail projects: http://omail.omnis.ch  -  http://webmail.omnis.ch

PGP signature

On Thu, Nov 09, 2000 at 11:45:44AM -0500, Russell Nelson wrote:

> argue that it needs a qmail-conf program just like djbdns has.  You

Granted.

> could also argue that virtualdomains and -owner files don't work

What's wrong with 'virtualdomains'?

Ben

--
Ben Beuchler                                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
MAILER-DAEMON                                         (612) 321-9290 x101
Bitstream Underground                                   www.bitstream.net

sounds to be a great idea. First time i tried installing qmail i got confused
because i didn´ t know what patches/add-ons are worth a look at or even not
needed in a default install. Putting all (most needde parts) into a well
documented one would be a great thing.. imho :)

Anton Pirnat

Am Don, 09 Nov 2000 schrieb Russell Nelson:
> We need a qmail 1.04.  The instructions in INSTALL are out of date.
> People should be told to use ucspi-tcp and daemontools.  The software
> is fine.  It's just the documentation that needs to change.  As
> always, I'm happy to do the work, if Dan is too busy.
>
> Why am I so adament that qmail-1.04 MUST be released?  To reduce
> support costs and help people more quickly.  A potential customer sent
> me the following question:
>
>    Is there any way or any command by which i can mannually push all
>    the mails to required destination which r there in the queue.
>
> Of course it's a FAQ, but I would really *really* like to tell him
> ``Just do this: svc -a /service/qmail''.  I can't do that, though,
> because not everyone installs qmail that way.  Instead, I have to tell
> him "You have to send an alarm signal to qmail-send."  And he has to
> figure out how to do that on his system.
>
> --
> -russ nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  http://russnelson.com
> Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok |
> 521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315 268 1925 voice | This space for rent
> Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  | +1 315 268 9201 FAX   |
              #   ___                       !!!         ( o )
     )|(      #  <_*_>         ,,,       `  _ _  '       ,|,
    (o o)     #  (o o)        (o o)     -  (OXO)  -     (@ @)
ooO--(_)--Ooo-8---(_)--Ooo-oO--(_)--Ooo-oO--(_)--Ooo-oO--(_)--Ooo-
             Anton Pirnat, pmg medien und service GmbH
               Schenkendorfstr. 17, D-70193 Stuttgart
                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>Putting all (most needde parts) into a well
>documented one would be a great thing.. imho :)

That won't happen.

-Dave

Russell Nelson wrote:

> Ruprecht Helms writes:
>  > At 15:36 09.11.00 +0000, Russell Nelson wrote:
>  > >We need a qmail 1.04.
>  >
>  > Is there a new release (qmail 1.04.) in stable version.
>
> No.  I'm suggesting that we need a qmail 1.04.  It need only change
> the documentation.  The software is perfectly fine, although you could
> argue that it needs a qmail-conf program just like djbdns has.  You
> could also argue that virtualdomains and -owner files don't work
> right.

I think this is an excellent idea.

I would also add that I think a few patches could be included (or added
if this was ok) - my suggestions would be:-

big-dns.patch
condredirect.patch
big-concurrency.patch
syncdir.patch

Although big-dns is not essential, and syncdir is only needed on Linux.
The condredirect may also be optional !  I appear to have argued my way
out of the patches - but I just trying to be flexible (big-concurrency
apears the only essential one in humble view.)

I can only repeat I think this is an excellent idea.

I could contribute an install script (based on LWQ and for redhat /
Linux but could be adapted (the only distro specific part is the
addition to run levels)).

Thanks Russ.

Greg

> --
> -russ nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  http://russnelson.com
> Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok |
> 521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315 268 1925 voice | This space for rent
> Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  | +1 315 268 9201 FAX   |

Ups, is this a holy war comming up?  :-)

Goran

P.S.: I personally think, that qmail is great, wouldn't change a thing,
excpt maybe for the documentation, but hey... There is a good thing to it...
This way you are forced into digging into qmail and actually understanding
it...

On Thu, Nov 09, 2000 at 08:13:01PM +0000, Greg Cope wrote:

> out of the patches - but I just trying to be flexible (big-concurrency
> apears the only essential one in humble view.)

Which hopefully will be irrelevant with zeroseek.

Regards.

Ben Beuchler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> On Thu, Nov 09, 2000 at 11:45:44AM -0500, Russell Nelson wrote:
>
> > argue that it needs a qmail-conf program just like djbdns has.  You
>
> Granted.
>
> > could also argue that virtualdomains and -owner files don't work
>
> What's wrong with 'virtualdomains'?

It handles partial doman names (the clause "virtualdomains may contain
wildcards" in man qmail-send) but it does not handle username
extensions in a way that is useful for, e.g., virtual mailinglists.
If you have an entry "user@domain:prepend", user is matched exactly
with no special treatment for user-owner or
user-return-bouncing-address etc.

--
Frank Cringle,      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
voice: (+49 7745) 928759; fax: 928761

Does the qmail-pop3d service lock access to the mailbox while a client
is connected?  I have situations where the same user may attempt to
connect from different locations simultaneously.  The POP3 RFC says
that while one connection is active, other connections to the same
mailbox should be locked out.  But, reading qmail-pop3d.c, I don't see
any such mechanism.

Also, I need a POP3 service that implements the "Status: RO" mechanism
to indicate that a message has be retrieved.  (This is a mechanism in
which the mail server adds a "Status: RO" header field to a message
after it has been retrieved.)  Has anyone implemented an add-on to
qmail-pop3d that does this?

--
Mark Sidell
Chief Programmer

  > Does the qmail-pop3d service lock access to the mailbox while a client
  > is connected?

No.

  > I have situations where the same user may attempt to
  > connect from different locations simultaneously.  The POP3 RFC says
  > that while one connection is active, other connections to the same
  > mailbox should be locked out.

POP was not meant to be used that way. What may happen is that one
qmail-pop3d returns an error if another deletes a file that was there
when the first one started.

The POP server does need to "lock" the mailbox to prevent newly
delivered messages to mess it up while the POP server is active,
however. For qmail, the Maildir storage method prevents this from
happening so there is no need for locks.

--
Gjermund Sorseth

Is there a way to require username/password for a user to be able to relay
email (SMTP auth)?  Is there a way to encrypt the connection?

I know sendmail does this though something called sash, but I would rather
use qmail since it seems more robust, any ideas?

Jack

Look for patches at qmail.org, particularly those by Mrs. Brisby and
Krzysztof Dabrowski.  Dabrowski's patch supports the CRAM-MD5 encrypted
challenge/response method of authentication, in addition to clear-text
passwords.

---Kris Kelley

Jack Barnett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Is there a way to require username/password for a user to be able to relay
> email (SMTP auth)?  Is there a way to encrypt the connection?

There's some pointers about SMTP auth on the qmail page at www.qmail.org --
or you could look into an SMTP-after-POP or SMTP-after-IMAP solution,
such as Bruce Guenter's relay-ctrl package.  It's also pointed to from the
page above.

Charles

I seen http://members.elysium.pl/brush/qmail-smtpd-auth/ and it looks really
good.  That is what I am going with on the smtp-auth side of things.

The only other thing I was wondering, is how to have a secure connection
between the client and server.  Could I just wrap both qmail's pop3d and
smtpd around stunnel and setup the client for "encrypted mode"?

Jack