qmail Digest 15 Jan 2001 11:00:00 -0000 Issue 1245

Topics (messages 55145 through 55184):

Re: newbees guide to the qmail-list [was: problem in delivering mails locally...]
        55145 by: Alexander Jernejcic

Re: Hotmail Woes.
        55146 by: James R Grinter
        55155 by: Mark Delany
        55180 by: Joomy Studio

Re: Bogus popularity claims for Sendmail
        55147 by: Jurjen Oskam

QMTP MX-question
        55148 by: Jurjen Oskam
        55149 by: Johan Almqvist
        55151 by: Jurjen Oskam
        55154 by: Henning Brauer

Re: Some assistance?
        55150 by: Alexander Jernejcic

Possible problem with qmail-qmtpc patch
        55152 by: Johan Almqvist
        55164 by: Russell Nelson
        55168 by: Johan Almqvist
        55169 by: Jurjen Oskam
        55170 by: Johan Almqvist
        55177 by: Johan Almqvist

Re: hrm....pop3d
        55153 by: Henning Brauer

qmail-inject
        55156 by: Tim Cropper
        55157 by: Mark Delany
        55158 by: Henning Brauer

Converting Sendmail spool emails to Qmail Maildir emails
        55159 by: Roberto Samarone Araujo \(RSA\)
        55160 by: Mark Delany

Re: Can a queue in Qmail get stuck?
        55161 by: Mark Delany

Re: APOP
        55162 by: Russell Nelson

looking for mua
        55163 by: davidge.jazzfree.com
        55165 by: Henning Brauer
        55166 by: Olivier M.
        55171 by: Ricardo Cerqueira
        55172 by: Henning Brauer
        55173 by: David Dyer-Bennet
        55174 by: Robin S. Socha
        55181 by: Justin Bell

Re: Hotmail woes and new situation
        55167 by: Corey Jarvis

problem with relaying
        55175 by: Jens Georg
        55176 by: Henning Brauer
        55178 by: Jens Georg

Winbind and Qmail
        55179 by: dennis

qmail-smtpd that Verifies PGP
        55182 by: Gan

Installing mini-qmail seems to require qmail ids contrary to documentation
        55183 by: Yusuf Goolamabbas

Addon
        55184 by: Steve Crowder

Administrivia:

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To bug my human owner, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Alex Pennace wrote
> How about we try changing the list name to
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]?
significant name - i have to admit

PD Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> you do get an smtp connection, your trouble may not be over. You may
> find that they don't 250 at the end (a sporatic problem there) or
> that the user you are sending to is over quota.

Yes, hotmail is very erratic in its mail acceptance (which isn't done
through qmail - they only seem to use qmail for outgoing mail)

On some mailing lists I run, there's usually at least one outgoing
message that will bounce from all the hotmail.com addresses on the list.

> Finally, if your server sends to yahoo, your either lucky or good. I
> find yahoo.com and yahoo.ca to be down 20% of the time.

ditto yahoo.co.uk - for the same reason. Their MX hosts are regularly
too busy.

Many sites also bounce mail with 'unknown user' at certain times of
the day. Anyone would think they weren't updating user-lists
atomically...

James.

On Sat, Jan 13, 2001 at 03:17:51PM +0100, Henning Brauer wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 12, 2001 at 04:32:30PM -0800, Boz Crowther wrote:
> > Isn't Hotmail owned by M$ (has been for a while, actually)?  So, it would
> > make sense that they run M$ OSes.
>
> Yes, M$ owns Hotmail. They have a bunch of Windooze Servers, but AFAIK the
> real work is done by FreeBSD machines.

Hmm. They may be cloaking, but here's the relevant header from their
email servers, first inbound, then outbound.

MHotMailBC2B194F00C340043198CCB63790B1720; Sun Jan 14 08:05:35 2001

         Sun, 14 Jan 2001 08:08:55 -0800

And here's what their webserver says:

$ telnet www.hotmail.com 80
Trying 64.4.44.7...
Connected to www.hotmail.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET / HTTP/1.0
HTTP/1.1 302 Redirected
Server: Microsoft-IIS/5.0
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 16:10:21 GMT
Location: http://lc2.law13.hotmail.passport.com/cgi-bin/login

Regards.

What about this ?
http://195.92.95.5/?restriction=site+contains&host=.hotmail.com&position=lim
ited
Did they successful switching to the W2K ?

Joomy.

On 13 Jan 2001 22:16:34 -0000, "D. J. Bernstein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I suspect
>that qmail now handles more Internet mail deliveries than Sendmail does,
>although I don't know a good way to measure this.

With this in mind, isn't it a great time to promote QMTP? For example,
by using the QMTP-enabled qmail-remote Russ made?

end
--
    Jurjen Oskam * carnivore! * http://www.stupendous.org/ for PGP key
assassinate nuclear iraq clinton kill bomb USA eta ira cia fbi nsa kill

Situation:

The primary MX for quadpro.stupendous.org is capable of accepting mail
via QMTP, and regularly does so. Of course, it is also capable of
accepting mail via SMTP. The 'secondary' MX is only capable of doing
SMTP.

What are the correct MX-records I should create?

I made:

quadpro.stupendous.org 86323 MX 12801 a.mx.quadpro.stupendous.org
quadpro.stupendous.org 86323 MX 12816 b.mx.quadpro.stupendous.org

However, when I query for crynwr.com, I get:

crynwr.com 86354 MX 12801 pdam.crynwr.com
crynwr.com 86354 MX 12816 pdam.crynwr.com

Here you have two MX-priorities (or distances) for the same name.

Is it a good idea to change the MX records for quadpro.stupendous.org
so that the result is:

quadpro.stupendous.org 86323 MX 12801 a.mx.quadpro.stupendous.org
quadpro.stupendous.org 86323 MX 12816 b.mx.quadpro.stupendous.org
quadpro.stupendous.org 86323 MX 12832 a.mx.quadpro.stupendous.org

or

quadpro.stupendous.org 86323 MX 12801 a.mx.quadpro.stupendous.org
quadpro.stupendous.org 86323 MX 12816 a.mx.quadpro.stupendous.org
quadpro.stupendous.org 86323 MX 12832 b.mx.quadpro.stupendous.org

?

end
--

On Sun, Jan 14, 2001 at 03:05:16PM +0100, Jurjen Oskam wrote:
> What are the correct MX-records I should create?
> I made:
> quadpro.stupendous.org 86323 MX 12801 a.mx.quadpro.stupendous.org
> quadpro.stupendous.org 86323 MX 12816 b.mx.quadpro.stupendous.org

That is correct.

> quadpro.stupendous.org 86323 MX 12801 a.mx.quadpro.stupendous.org
> quadpro.stupendous.org 86323 MX 12816 a.mx.quadpro.stupendous.org
> quadpro.stupendous.org 86323 MX 12832 b.mx.quadpro.stupendous.org

Quoting http://cr.yp.to/proto/mxps.txt

"  Example:
[...]
      B.EXAMPLE.ORG  IN  MX  12801  A.EXAMPLE.ORG
                     IN  MX  12816  C.EXAMPLE.ORG
[...]
   A sender with a message for B.EXAMPLE.ORG will try A.EXAMPLE.ORG by
   QMTP, then C.EXAMPLE.ORG by SMTP. If it does not support QMTP, it may
   try SMTP instead of QMTP, or it may skip A.EXAMPLE.ORG."

Note the "...or it may skip..." part.

-Johan
--
Johan Almqvist
http://www.almqvist.net/johan/qmail/

PGP signature

On Sun, 14 Jan 2001 15:12:09 +0100, Johan Almqvist
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Quoting http://cr.yp.to/proto/mxps.txt
>
>"  Example:
>[...]
>      B.EXAMPLE.ORG  IN  MX  12801  A.EXAMPLE.ORG
>                     IN  MX  12816  C.EXAMPLE.ORG
>[...]
>   A sender with a message for B.EXAMPLE.ORG will try A.EXAMPLE.ORG by
>   QMTP, then C.EXAMPLE.ORG by SMTP. If it does not support QMTP, it may
>   try SMTP instead of QMTP, or it may skip A.EXAMPLE.ORG."
>
>Note the "...or it may skip..." part.

I've read that page a few times myself. Since I'm not a native English
speaker, I'm having trouble figuring out what it *exactly* means. In
particular, the "it" in "If it does not support QMTP, ...". Does "it"
refer to "a sender with a message for B.EXAMPLE.ORG"? (That would make
sense.) In that case, you have the possibilities: 1) MXPS-aware sender
with *no support* for QMTP. Such a sender would most likely skip
A.EXAMPLE.ORG. (But it could just as well deliver via SMTP) 2) A
'normal' sender, without MXPS or QMTP. Such a sender would just
deliver to the lowest preference using SMTP only.

But I'm interested in the case where an MXPS-aware QMTP-capable sender
tries to deliver a message to quadpro.stupendous.org (with MX records
set according to [1], but finds port 209 (QMTP) unavailable. Will such
a sender then (directly after the failure to deliver to
a.mx.stupendous.org using QMTP): 1) try to deliver to
b.mx.quadpro.stupendous.org using SMTP or 2) try to deliver to
a.mx.stupendous.org using SMTP? And if I change the MX-records to [2],
will that behaviour change?

[1]
  quadpro.stupendous.org 86323 MX 12801 a.mx.quadpro.stupendous.org
  quadpro.stupendous.org 86323 MX 12816 b.mx.quadpro.stupendous.org

[2]

On Sun, Jan 14, 2001 at 03:38:40PM +0100, Jurjen Oskam wrote:
> But I'm interested in the case where an MXPS-aware QMTP-capable sender
> tries to deliver a message to quadpro.stupendous.org (with MX records
> set according to [1], but finds port 209 (QMTP) unavailable. Will such
> a sender then (directly after the failure to deliver to
> a.mx.stupendous.org using QMTP): 1) try to deliver to
> b.mx.quadpro.stupendous.org using SMTP or 2) try to deliver to
> a.mx.stupendous.org using SMTP? And if I change the MX-records to [2],
> will that behaviour change?

In theory you option no. 2 is the best way, it says "try a.mx via qmtp, on
failure try a.mx via smtp, on failure use b.mx via smtp". In practice you
could also use option 1, as the only MXPS capable sender is Russels patched
qmail-remote AFAIK, and everbody using it will support qmtp (everything
else, e. g. the port is closed within the firewall, i would call a
misconfiguration).
Anyway I'd vote for option 2, it's the clearest ;-)

> [1]
>   quadpro.stupendous.org 86323 MX 12801 a.mx.quadpro.stupendous.org
>   quadpro.stupendous.org 86323 MX 12816 b.mx.quadpro.stupendous.org
> [2]
>   quadpro.stupendous.org 86323 MX 12801 a.mx.quadpro.stupendous.org
>   quadpro.stupendous.org 86323 MX 12816 a.mx.quadpro.stupendous.org
>   quadpro.stupendous.org 86323 MX 12832 b.mx.quadpro.stupendous.org

--
Henning Brauer     | BS Web Services
Hostmaster BSWS    | Roedingsmarkt 14

hi,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I need to be able to send/relay all of the messages in a maildir (the
> default/catchall for that domain) back out to that domain,
> there was a 'cessation' of the domains real mail server, and it is
> operational again so the desire is to hand
> these messages back to that machine.
>
> Can anyone point me in the right direction to do this in a clean
> fashion?  Failing that another way that isn't manual?

one way - not the most elegant - would be, to let fetchmail do the job on
the "up again" mail server

:) alexander

Hi!

I think there may be a problem with the patches to qmail-remote that make
it speak QMTP based on MXPS.

If the QMTP connection fails (because the remote host doesn't have a qmtpd
running) this failure will be logged as

deferral: Connected_to_194.47.249.19_but_connection_died._(#4.4.2)/

which means that the message will not be retried at the next best MX but

There is also a minor glitch in my patch that would make qmail-remote try
SMTP if a QMTP connection can't be established, even if QMTP is forced by
control/mailroutes. I think this is NOT what people would expect?

-Johan
--

Johan Almqvist writes:
 > Hi!
 >
 > I think there may be a problem with the patches to qmail-remote that make
 > it speak QMTP based on MXPS.
 >
 > If the QMTP connection fails (because the remote host doesn't have a qmtpd
 > running

That's a misconfiguration.  I'd rather that the email bounced than it
got delivered via SMTP silently.  It could be that someone unaware of
the MXPS standard (which admittedly includes 99.999999% of the world's
population) could have set their MX priority to 12801.  If so, it's
best to ask them to change their MX priority.

It's much more likely that someone intends that the email be
delivered via qmtpd but it is failing to run for some reason.  If we
fall back to smtp, they'll never know that it's failing unless they're
watching their qmail logs carefully.

--
-russ nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  http://russnelson.com | Government is the
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | fictitious entity by which

* Russell Nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [010114 19:39]
> That's a misconfiguration.  I'd rather that the email bounced than it
> got delivered via SMTP silently.

Well, at the moment it'll only be bounced after queuelifetime...

> It could be that someone unaware of the MXPS standard (which admittedly
> includes 99.999999% of the world's population) could have set their MX
> priority to 12801.  If so, it's best to ask them to change their MX
> priority.

Agreed. What happens if they don't?

> It's much more likely that someone intends that the email be
> delivered via qmtpd but it is failing to run for some reason.  If we
> fall back to smtp, they'll never know that it's failing unless they're
> watching their qmail logs carefully.

...or look at their Received: lines from time to time. After setting up
QMTP service and MXPS I suspect most people will watch their logs rather
closely for a few days...

-Johan
PS: Love the double spacing...
--
Johan Almqvist
http://www.almqvist.net/johan/qmail/

PGP signature

On Sun, 14 Jan 2001 13:39:01 -0500 (EST), Russell Nelson
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Johan Almqvist writes:
> > If the QMTP connection fails (because the remote host doesn't have a qmtpd
> > running
>That's a misconfiguration.  I'd rather that the email bounced than it
>got delivered via SMTP silently.  It could be that someone unaware of

What happens in the following case:

   quadpro.stupendous.org 86323 MX 12801 a.mx.quadpro.stupendous.org
   quadpro.stupendous.org 86323 MX 12817 b.mx.quadpro.stupendous.org

...when qmtpd isn't reachable on a.mx.quadpro.stupendous.org?

>delivered via qmtpd but it is failing to run for some reason.  If we
>fall back to smtp, they'll never know that it's failing unless they're
>watching their qmail logs carefully.

But isn't that a bit in contradiction with the concept of backup
MX'es?
end
--
    Jurjen Oskam * carnivore! * http://www.stupendous.org/ for PGP key
assassinate nuclear iraq clinton kill bomb USA eta ira cia fbi nsa kill
president wall street ruin economy disrupt phonenetwork atomic bomb sarin
nerve gas bin laden military -*- DVD Decryption at www.stupendous.org -*-

* Jurjen Oskam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [010114 20:25]
> What happens in the following case:
>    quadpro.stupendous.org 86323 MX 12801 a.mx.quadpro.stupendous.org
>    quadpro.stupendous.org 86323 MX 12817 b.mx.quadpro.stupendous.org
> ...when qmtpd isn't reachable on a.mx.quadpro.stupendous.org?

That's the problem I tried to describe. In my experience, the message goes
back to the queue and will be retried to a.mx.quadpro.stupendous.org by
QMTP later. And this will happen until qmail-send decides the message has
been in the queue too long, whereupon it will be bounced.

However, I'm not 100% sure about this, as my network setup is a little too
small and limited by university-controlled firewalls and university-
administered DNS servers.

> >delivered via qmtpd but it is failing to run for some reason.  If we
> >fall back to smtp, they'll never know that it's failing unless they're
> >watching their qmail logs carefully.
> But isn't that a bit in contradiction with the concept of backup
> MX'es?

Er, yes.

-Johan
--
Johan Almqvist
http://www.almqvist.net/johan/qmail/

PGP signature

* Johan Almqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [010114 15:45]:
> I think there may be a problem with the patches to qmail-remote that make
> it speak QMTP based on MXPS.
> If the QMTP connection fails (because the remote host doesn't have a qmtpd
> running) this failure will be logged as
> deferral: Connected_to_194.47.249.19_but_connection_died._(#4.4.2)/
> which means that the message will not be retried at the next best MX but

Ok, as I said, my test setup wasn't the best, so this only happens if the
host is _there_ but not running qmtpd. That's probably what we want
anyhow...

-Johan
--

On Sun, Jan 14, 2001 at 12:11:57AM -0500, Kurth Bemis wrote:
> having a bit of a problem with qmail-poop3d.  when i start it fro mmy init script i
>get this funky error in the log file.
>
> Jan 12 06:54:30 noname pop3d: 979300470.784986 tcpserver: fatal: unable to figure
>out port number for pop-3
> Jan 12 06:54:31 noname qmail: 979300471.799484 status: local 0/10 remote 0/20
>
> any have any idea what could be causing this?  when i telnet to the box/ip  on port
>110 i get no connection.  I'm running openbsd 2.8 with qmail 1.03 and daemon tools
>.70 with checkpassword  .81

That's easy. You are giving pop-3 as port for tcpserver (check your run file
/ startup script), but there is no pop-3 entry in /etc/services. Either put
pop3 instead of pop-3 in your script (and check if it exists in
/etc/services) or hardwire port 110 instead of using a name. man tcpserver
is your friend ;-))

--
Henning Brauer     | BS Web Services
Hostmaster BSWS    | Roedingsmarkt 14
[EMAIL PROTECTED] | 20459 Hamburg
http://www.bsws.de | Germany

Hi all,

If  log  in as root and  send mail to a remote host using qmail-inject,
the mail I receive is not from root but from my tcropper account.
I been trying to figure this our for hours ... Any help would be
appreciated.

Below are the steps I go through to send the mail

I ssh to the host and the su to root

check my id:  uid=0(root) gid=0(root)
groups=0(root),1(bin),2(daemon),3(sys),4(adm),6(disk),10(wheel)

echo to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] | /var/qmail/bin/qmail-inject

Retrieve mail from hotmail:
   From:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   Date: 4 Jan 2001 05:49:08 -0000

>From qmail-header man page:  If there is no From field, qmail-inject
adds a new From field with the name of the user invoking qmail-inject.

How can this happen when  I was logged in as root when sending to
qmail-inject???

Thanks
-Tim

On Sun, Jan 14, 2001 at 10:28:51AM -0600, Tim Cropper wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> If  log  in as root and  send mail to a remote host using qmail-inject,
> the mail I receive is not from root but from my tcropper account.
> I been trying to figure this our for hours ... Any help would be
> appreciated.

Do you mean login literally, or do you mean su?

Login as root as you do when you have this problem and show us the
output of:

# env
# qmail-inject -n anyone </dev/null

Regards.

> Below are the steps I go through to send the mail
>
> I ssh to the host and the su to root
>
> check my id:  uid=0(root) gid=0(root)
> groups=0(root),1(bin),2(daemon),3(sys),4(adm),6(disk),10(wheel)
>
> echo to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] | /var/qmail/bin/qmail-inject
>
> Retrieve mail from hotmail:
>    From:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>    Date: 4 Jan 2001 05:49:08 -0000
>
> From qmail-header man page:  If there is no From field, qmail-inject
> adds a new From field with the name of the user invoking qmail-inject.
>
> How can this happen when  I was logged in as root when sending to
> qmail-inject???
>
> Thanks
> -Tim

On Sun, Jan 14, 2001 at 10:28:51AM -0600, Tim Cropper wrote:
> I ssh to the host and the su to root
> Retrieve mail from hotmail:
>    From:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>    Date: 4 Jan 2001 05:49:08 -0000
> How can this happen when  I was logged in as root when sending to
> qmail-inject???

You weren't logged in as root, you were logged in as tcropper and su'ed to
root. This is a difference.

man su.

--
Henning Brauer     | BS Web Services
Hostmaster BSWS    | Roedingsmarkt 14
[EMAIL PROTECTED] | 20459 Hamburg
http://www.bsws.de | Germany

Hi,

        I always used Qmail in all my jobs so, I don't know work with
sendmail. At the old week I went to visit a client that is using sendmail. I
saw sendmail running and, after some minutes looking at how sendmail work, I
concluded that sendmail virtual email when you need to you m4 is really
hilarious hehhehehe and very suxx, so I proposed to the client to use Qmail.
       But now, I have a question. Are there any way to convert Sendmail
spool emails to qmail Mailldir emails ??

                                Thanks,

                        Roberto Samarone Araujo

On Sun, Jan 14, 2001 at 01:55:28PM -0300, Roberto Samarone Araujo (RSA) wrote:
> Hi,
>
>         I always used Qmail in all my jobs so, I don't know work with
> sendmail. At the old week I went to visit a client that is using sendmail. I
> saw sendmail running and, after some minutes looking at how sendmail work, I
> concluded that sendmail virtual email when you need to you m4 is really
> hilarious hehhehehe and very suxx, so I proposed to the client to use Qmail.
>        But now, I have a question. Are there any way to convert Sendmail
> spool emails to qmail Mailldir emails ??

Sure is. Check out www.qmail.org for programs that convert mailboxes
to Maildirs in the "User-Contributed Maildir Support" section.

Or do you mean convert the existing queue? The easiest way to do that
is simply let the queue drain since sendmail and qmail can coexist
(with care).

Regards.

On Fri, Jan 12, 2001 at 11:41:25AM -0500, Collin B. McClendon wrote:
> I do have some relevant log files, however they are quite large. I am
> running RedHat Linux
> 6.2. Previously I was using OpenBSD 2.7. Thanks for the tip on qmail-qmqpc,
> I'll look into this.

and also:

> Hello all,
> Per Mark's suggestion I have put my maillogs up for perusal at this URL:
> http://listserv.investorlinks.com/qmail/
>
> I am using Qmail 1.03 on RedHat Linux 6.2. I have applied big-concurrency,
> big-todo, fastforward and dotforward.
> I also am use the tcpserver from uscpi tools. I have soft linked my rc file
> and controls directory as well.
> My kernel FD_DESCRIPTORs are set at 4096 and I used systctl.conf to change
> my fs.inode-max to 65536 and
> my fs.file-max to 16384. The symptoms so far have been an increase in
> delivery times unless I restart qmail every day or so.
> I also have noticed my queue stays around 300 or so permanently and
> unprocessed mailings are around 10 during high load, 2 during normal
> operation. If there is any other relevant information that you can think of
> let me know. Thanks, I'd really appreciate any input you can give.

Just looking at maillog.1.gz:

It appears that your list needs cleaning up. Presumably your listserv
isn't dealing with bounces and rejections very well as the log shows
17,000+ "Sorry,_I_couldn't_find_any_host_by_that_name._(#4.1.2)/", and
13,000+ "Sorry,_I_wasn't_able_to_establish_an_SMTP_connection._(#4.4.1)/"
messages.

Now a lot of these are going to be retries, but it still seems like a
lot to me.

More convincing is that the 17,000+ "does_not_like_recipient"
messages.

So I'd really work hard to try and clean up that list. Are you sure
that the unsubscribe and bounce handling of listserv is actually
working and removing dead addresses?

Apart from that, your qmail install seems to be running just fine. Can
you identify the time and domain that "gets stuck" in maillog.1.gz?

Regards.

keng heng writes:
 > Is it any way to do APOP with qmail?

Yes.

--
-russ nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  http://russnelson.com | Government is the
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | fictitious entity by which
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315 268 1925 voice | everyone seeks to live at
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  | +1 315 268 9201 FAX   | everyone else's expense.

Hi,

Is there any good MUA out there that supports Maildir format? I want to
get ride of pine because only has mbox.

David Gómez

"The question of whether computers can think is just like the question of
 whether submarines can swim." -- Edsger W. Dijkstra

On Sun, Jan 14, 2001 at 07:28:15PM +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there any good MUA out there that supports Maildir format? I want to
> get ride of pine because only has mbox.

The three greatest: mutt, mutt and mutt. I should also mention mutt. From
these I'd use mutt ;-))

--

On Sun, Jan 14, 2001 at 07:47:46PM +0100, Henning Brauer wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 14, 2001 at 07:28:15PM +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > Is there any good MUA out there that supports Maildir format? I want to
> > get ride of pine because only has mbox.
>
> The three greatest: mutt, mutt and mutt. I should also mention mutt. From
> these I'd use mutt ;-))

Hey, I think you forgot to speak about mutt! That's incredible... :)

Olivier

PS: do you know a way to send a gnupg message encrypted with two or three
keys to a single address ? We have an ezmlm-based list, and all
the posts should be encrypted. But when I send a mail to the list,
I can only encrypt with one key... Thanks for any hint!
 Olivier Mueller - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - PGPkeyID: 0E84D2EA - Switzerland
qmail projects: http://omail.omnis.ch  -  http://webmail.omnis.ch

PGP signature

On Sun, Jan 14, 2001 at 07:54:51PM +0100, Olivier M. wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 14, 2001 at 07:47:46PM +0100, Henning Brauer wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 14, 2001 at 07:28:15PM +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > > Is there any good MUA out there that supports Maildir format? I want to
> > > get ride of pine because only has mbox.
> >
> > The three greatest: mutt, mutt and mutt. I should also mention mutt. From
> > these I'd use mutt ;-))
>
> Hey, I think you forgot to speak about mutt! That's incredible... :)

And I use another MUA that supports maildirs very well. It even uses the
new/cur/tmp dirs as it should, instead of relying on "Status" headers. It's
called "mutt" ;-)

RC

--
+-------------------
| Ricardo Cerqueira
| PGP Key fingerprint  -  B7 05 13 CE 48 0A BF 1E  87 21 83 DB 28 DE 03 42
| Novis Telecom  -  Engenharia ISP / Rede Técnica
| Pç. Duque Saldanha, 1, 7º E / 1050-094 Lisboa / Portugal
| Tel: +351 2 1010 0000 - Fax: +351 2 1010 4459

PGP signature

On Sun, Jan 14, 2001 at 08:23:52PM +0000, Ricardo Cerqueira wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 14, 2001 at 07:54:51PM +0100, Olivier M. wrote:
> > > The three greatest: mutt, mutt and mutt. I should also mention mutt. From
> > > these I'd use mutt ;-))
> > Hey, I think you forgot to speak about mutt! That's incredible... :)
> And I use another MUA that supports maildirs very well. It even uses the
> new/cur/tmp dirs as it should, instead of relying on "Status" headers. It's
> called "mutt" ;-)

Oh, maybe you are on many mailing lists. Then a good List reply is a must,
so your choice should be different. For this special case I'd recommend...
eh, you got the idea - mutt ;-))

--
Henning Brauer     | BS Web Services
Hostmaster BSWS    | Roedingsmarkt 14
[EMAIL PROTECTED] | 20459 Hamburg
http://www.bsws.de | Germany

Henning Brauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes on 14 January 2001 at 19:47:46 +0100
 > On Sun, Jan 14, 2001 at 07:28:15PM +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
 > >
 > > Hi,
 > >
 > > Is there any good MUA out there that supports Maildir format? I want to
 > > get ride of pine because only has mbox.
 >
 > The three greatest: mutt, mutt and mutt. I should also mention mutt. From
 > these I'd use mutt ;-))

Yes, unfortunately several of my users very much don't like mutt.
--
David Dyer-Bennet      /      Welcome to the future!      /      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
SF: http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/          Minicon: http://www.mnstf.org/minicon/

* David Dyer-Bennet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Henning Brauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes on 14 January 2001 at 19:47:46 +0100
>> On Sun, Jan 14, 2001 at 07:28:15PM +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> > Is there any good MUA out there that supports Maildir format? I
>> > want to get ride of pine because only has mbox.

Patch pine with the patch mentioned at http://qmail.org/ and you're in
business. OTOH:

Look, Ma, 4299 accidents waiting to happen:
find pine4.21 -type f | xargs egrep '(sprintf|strcpy|strcat)' | wc -l
    4299

>> The three greatest: mutt, mutt and mutt. I should also mention
>> mutt. From these I'd use mutt ;-))

> Yes, unfortunately several of my users very much don't like mutt.

mutt is pretty nifty. Another good choice would be Gnus http://www.gnus.org/
which also supports Maildir natively if you use nnmaildir. Otherwise, Maildir
is available as a regular mail backend. It's about 150x as big as mutt,
but it's got a lot of extremely useful features mutt lacks (I use both
extensively).
--
Robin S. Socha <http://socha.net/Gnus/>

On Sun, Jan 14, 2001 at 07:47:46PM +0100, Henning Brauer wrote:
# On Sun, Jan 14, 2001 at 07:28:15PM +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
# >
# > Hi,
# >
#
# The three greatest: mutt, mutt and mutt. I should also mention mutt. From
# these I'd use mutt ;-))

Mutt is pretty good also

--
Justin Bell

To Stefan,
I thank you all for your help and I am sorry for the response that I
sent to the list.  Stefan: You were right about the kernel, I did have
ecn on.  I have another situation which I am looking at fixing.  Case
insensitive emails, with login and passwords being case sensitive.
Currently I use my own hack for it, however is there a better way that
is built in that I don't know about.
I currently run kernel 2.4 with qmail-1.03 running under tcpserver, with
relay-ctrl being the only additional mod.  And yes if I have a reason to
continue to post its all t he lovely flaming responses I got to my
sarcastic remark.
Signed,
Corey Jarvis

hi,

i am running a linuxbox with qmail serving several virtual maildomains.
i have passwd-users for pop3. now, i would like to open my system to
some secure ip-adresses of some of my customers networks for them to send
there emails via my system. i put them to /etc/tcp.smtp and built a new
database using tcprules. after restarting qmail, it accept smtp-connection
from my customers network, but refuses to handle emails except for those
domains, who are listed in ~qmail/control/rctphosts.
i don't understand, why qmail doesn't accept emails for foreign domains ?
i thought, new tcp.smtp.cdb file will allow clients listed there to relay ?

--
gruss,jens
instant networks - netzwerkmanagment & internetfullservices

On Sun, Jan 14, 2001 at 11:58:11PM +0100, Jens Georg wrote:
> hi,
>
> i am running a linuxbox with qmail serving several virtual maildomains.
> i have passwd-users for pop3. now, i would like to open my system to
> some secure ip-adresses of some of my customers networks for them to send
> there emails via my system. i put them to /etc/tcp.smtp and built a new
> database using tcprules. after restarting qmail, it accept smtp-connection
> from my customers network, but refuses to handle emails except for those
> domains, who are listed in ~qmail/control/rctphosts.
> i don't understand, why qmail doesn't accept emails for foreign domains ?
> i thought, new tcp.smtp.cdb file will allow clients listed there to relay ?

Not to be rude, but... have you ever read a single piece of documetation for
qmail? Did you ever thought about what information might by helpful for this
question if you are _really_ unable to get it from the docs (this is nearly
impossible)? At least your tcp file - then some guys here had mailed you
"RTFM, and add RELAYCLIENT="" here"...

> --
> gruss,jens
> instant networks - netzwerkmanagment & internetfullservices
> http://www.instant-networks.de

--
Henning Brauer     | BS Web Services
Hostmaster BSWS    | Roedingsmarkt 14
[EMAIL PROTECTED] | 20459 Hamburg
http://www.bsws.de | Germany

hello,

the problem was solved by me. the problem was caused by the ip's given
to me. those ip's are part of an dhcp-pool and of course the workstations
of my customers got different ip's whenever they have been started. no
wonder why relaying didn't work at 100% :-(.

but, anyway, thanks for all your great responses ! thanks !

Jens Georg wrote:

> hi,
>
> i am running a linuxbox with qmail serving several virtual maildomains.
> i have passwd-users for pop3. now, i would like to open my system to
> some secure ip-adresses of some of my customers networks for them to send
> there emails via my system. i put them to /etc/tcp.smtp and built a new
> database using tcprules. after restarting qmail, it accept smtp-connection
> from my customers network, but refuses to handle emails except for those
> domains, who are listed in ~qmail/control/rctphosts.
> i don't understand, why qmail doesn't accept emails for foreign domains ?
> i thought, new tcp.smtp.cdb file will allow clients listed there to relay ?
>
> --
> gruss,jens
> instant networks - netzwerkmanagment & internetfullservices
> http://www.instant-networks.de

--
gruss,jens
instant networks - netzwerkmanagment & internetfullservices
http://www.instant-networks.de

Hi all...

Has anyone investigated the use of "Winbind" with "Qmail" for the auth'ing
off an NT domain ?
Much like Qmail-LDAP but an NT domain being the password database.

Feedback appreciated.

Cheers
Dennis

I am trying to create system (on RedHat Linux) where message is PGP verified before message reaches qmail-queue does anyone did this kind of programm before? does any knows what PGP programm should i use?

According to Dan's page on mini-qmail
http://cr.yp.to/qmail/mini.html, installing mini-qmail doesn't require
qmail entries in /etc/passwd or /etc/group. So one should conceptually
just have to unpack qmail-1.03.tar.gz, create /var/qmail and run make
setup check

However, on doing this this is the error message received

./load auto-gid substdio.a error.a str.a fs.a
( ./auto-uid auto_uida `head -1 conf-users` \
&&./auto-uid auto_uidd `head -2 conf-users | tail -1` \
&&./auto-uid auto_uidl `head -3 conf-users | tail -1` \
&&./auto-uid auto_uido `head -4 conf-users | tail -1` \
&&./auto-uid auto_uidp `head -5 conf-users | tail -1` \
&&./auto-uid auto_uidq `head -6 conf-users | tail -1` \
&&./auto-uid auto_uidr `head -7 conf-users | tail -1` \
&&./auto-uid auto_uids `head -8 conf-users | tail -1` \
&&./auto-gid auto_gidq `head -1 conf-groups` \
&&./auto-gid auto_gidn `head -2 conf-groups | tail -1` \
) > auto_uids.c.tmp && mv auto_uids.c.tmp auto_uids.c
fatal: unable to find user alias

So, does the installation of mini-qmail require creating of user-ids for
installation and then one can delete them subsequently

--
Yusuf Goolamabbas
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hi

I've been scouring documentation to find an answer but to no avail. Perhaps
someone can point me to the right place to help me with the following:

Currently running qmail 1.03 on FreeBSD 4.1, I would like to add an extra
item of text to every email that is sent from all our users when they mail
externally to our domain.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Steve