On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 04:44:06PM +0800, Yusuf Goolamabbas wrote:
> According to Dan's page on mini-qmail
> http://cr.yp.to/qmail/mini.html, installing mini-qmail doesn't require
> qmail entries in /etc/passwd or /etc/group.

Strictly speaking, that page says that you don't need those entries to
"install" mini-qmail. It is silent on the matter of building it.

In general, it appears that that particular page is intended for
people already familiar with qmail as it does not provide the same
specifics as his other pages do (for example it does not specify
permissions for /var/mini-qmail).

> So, does the installation of mini-qmail require creating of user-ids for
> installation and then one can delete them subsequently

That's the easiest way - though it doesn't hurt to leave the
/etc/passwd and /etc/group entries intact. Alternatively, you can
simply take the specific executables from another system and copy them
as needed.

Personally I find it easier to do a standard qmail install and work
backwards as that conveniently gives you all the man pages, all the
commands and all the sources on the local system.

By working backwards I mean:

# mv /var/qmail/bin/qmail-queue /var/qmail/bin/qmail-queue.orig
# ln -s mv /var/qmail/bin/qmail-qmqpc /var/qmail/bin/qmail-queue

Regards.