> On Sat, Jan 13, 2001 at 10:16:34PM -0000, D. J. Bernstein wrote:
> > I've set up a web page to combat Sendmail Inc.'s false advertising on
> > this topic: http://cr.yp.to/surveys/sendmail.html
> >
> > Sendmail dropped below 50% of the Internet's SMTP servers---including
> > idle workstations---last year; qmail has climbed past 10%. I suspect
> > that qmail now handles more Internet mail deliveries than Sendmail does,
> > although I don't know a good way to measure this.
>
> You could examine a set of log files, but then how do you count them?
> You can't count the MTA that sent and received the email because it's
> completely non-random.  And yet, that throws off your statistics.

I would totally exclude the server that generates the logs and just
use the 250 responses from the remote SMTP servers. Unless it's
someone like AOL, I don't think that ignoring the local system will
have much bearing on the stats.

I wouldn't bother chasing down the MX and then probing it, from the
perspective of Sendmail vs qmail vs the-rest, the queue-id responses
are sufficiently distinct with a few pattern matches.

The best server logs to look at are probably those that are running
diverse-interest mailing lists. ISP logs - regardless of whether they
are running qmail - are probably fine since we're not counting local
deliveries.

Regards.