I'm considering removing the entire patches section from
www.qmail.org.

Why?  Because a patch implies that something is wrong, and needs to be
fixed.  However, when someone produces a "patch" for smtp-auth, that
implies that qmail-smtpd has a problem that the patch fixes.  I'd
rather see people steal the necessary parts of Makefile, and Dan's
library code, and create a stand-alone "qmail-smtpd-auth" program.

I've found a couple of places where Dan decries patches:

http://msgs.securepoint.com/cgi-bin/get/qmail9812/214/1/2/1/3/2/1/2/1.html
http://msgs.SecurePoint.com/cgi-bin/get/qmail9905/164/3.html

Somewhere he recommends that people make a copy of the necessary parts
of his code and distribute the changed code as a separate package.
Can anybody find it for me?  I've failed to find it in nearly an hour
of archive searching.

I'm not going to do it unless a majority of the authors of patches are
willing to repackage them as standalone programs.  So if there's a
firestorm of protest from those authors, I won't do it.

--
-russ nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  http://russnelson.com | Government is the
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | fictitious entity by which