Eng. Ramy M. Hassan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I noticed that qmail-pop3d always responds with:  < +OK 0 to the pop3
> command LAST.

LAST is a broken design; it requires the server to maintain state information
which really should be stored on the client.

> This behavior makes pop3 clients like fetchmail unable to know which
> messages are new and thus download all the messages.

No.  Your POP3 retriever should just use the UIDL command to get a unique
signature for the message, and keep a list of signatures which it has already
seen.

My own POP3 retriever, getmail, does this.  It works quite happily with
qmail-pop3d and every other POP3 daemon I've tried.  There are a few ancient
POP3 servers out there which don't support UIDL, though.

Charles