Clemens Hermann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>My Problem is this: DJB says as the first words in his statement
>about Software user's rights:
>
>In the United States, once you own a copy of a program......
>2 Problems:
>a) I am not within the United States

Good question... I suppose your rights would be determined by your
countries copyright law.

>and the *much *bigger problem is:
>b) When Do I own a copy of a program?

IANAL, but you own a copy of a program when you possess a legally
obtained copy. You don't have to hold the copyright to the original to
own a copy.

>There are lots of examples where by just having the source of a pice of
>software you do not own this software by any means.

No, but you own the copy.

>You can even receive
>the software legally but you are just not allowed to use them e.g. for
>commercial purpose.

Only when the copyright holder distributes the software under a
license that restricts its use. qmail is not distributed with a
license.

>So: Where is said that I own qmail as soon as I download it?

You don't "own qmail", you own a copy of it.

-Dave