Well, this is hardly a qmail question. It's more a system
administration/Linux question. Have you got the 'top' command? Try
that? Have you got the 'ps' command? Try that.

I don't know about Linux so much, but some Operating Systems use
memory that has never had anything placed in it in preference to
memory that has had something loaded into it.

What that means is that if you run 100 different programs, rather than
reuse the one piece of memory for each program, the OS will load in
the first program, leave it in memoryt, and load in the next program
at the next available piece of memory. Over time this has the effect
of using all your memory, but of course the OS is just being smart
about caching. That may be all that's happened with your system.

Relating to qmail. qmail is a very small consumer of memory and is
unlikely to be relevant to any interpretation you are making on this
output.

Regards.