qmail Digest 10 Mar 2001 11:00:01 -0000 Issue 1299

Topics (messages 58713 through 58798):

sending a newsletter
        58713 by: Jon
        58719 by: Charles Cazabon
        58728 by: Jon
        58733 by: Charles Cazabon
        58741 by: Jon
        58746 by: Charles Cazabon
        58747 by: Peter Green

Traffic measurement
        58714 by: Qmaillist
        58757 by: Markus Stumpf

Re: NAKEDWIFE.EXE Virus - Filter available
        58715 by: Erwin Hoffmann
        58793 by: Kari Suomela
        58794 by: Kari Suomela
        58795 by: Todd Finney
        58796 by: Kari Suomela

Re: Qmail Queue is out of control ....
        58716 by: Frédéric Beléteau
        58720 by: Charles Cazabon
        58723 by: Frédéric Beléteau
        58724 by: Charles Cazabon
        58730 by: Frédéric Beléteau
        58735 by: Charles Cazabon
        58752 by: Sean C Truman

Re: My qmail could not send to another host
        58717 by: Charles Cazabon
        58760 by: Edward J. Allen III

Re: mailer-daemon: editing error messages ?
        58718 by: Charles Cazabon
        58740 by: José Carreiro
        58745 by: Charles Cazabon

Slowing down for Exchange servers
        58721 by: Michael T. Babcock
        58722 by: Charles Cazabon

OK I give up!!!
        58725 by: Kirti S. Bajwa
        58727 by: Charles Cazabon
        58729 by: Kurth Bemis
        58731 by: Kirti S. Bajwa
        58732 by: Charles Cazabon
        58734 by: Peter Green
        58737 by: Kirti S. Bajwa
        58753 by: Adam McKenna

Strange DNS problem
        58726 by: Karl Monaghan

Re: apop and authenticated smtp
        58736 by: Kris Kelley

CHECKATTATCH  -  qmail-inject...
        58738 by: jsunday.parview.com
        58749 by: Erwin Hoffmann
        58750 by: Jesse Sunday

Re: Recommended patches for high-volume ezmlm server
        58739 by: Mate Wierdl
        58743 by: Don Rose

Re: qmail postfix
        58742 by: Mate Wierdl
        58754 by: Markus Stumpf

Re: Selective relaying -Nonstandard style, tough one.  Anyone got any ideas? A
challenge!
        58744 by: Michael T. Babcock

What is so sad... Re: OK I give up!!!
        58748 by: Choz Sun
        58751 by: Kurth Bemis
        58761 by: Sean C Truman
        58772 by: Kurth Bemis
        58776 by: Sean C Truman

Is there anyway to have CHECKATTATCH delete the attatchment before rejecting it???
        58755 by: Jesse Sunday

Q-Mail - pop3d log script
        58756 by: Sean Coyle

Bare linefeeds not accepted by Qmail? - Vendor agrees
        58758 by: Cameron Childress
        58770 by: Cameron Childress

Re: Error 554 from hotmail
        58759 by: Tim Hunter
        58775 by: James R Grinter

News server
        58762 by: Peter Mitev
        58764 by: Charles Cazabon
        58766 by: Aaron L. Meehan

traffic
        58763 by: Qmaillist
        58781 by: Sean Coyle
        58791 by: Qmaillist

Re: Yet another weird POP3 problem
        58765 by: Sean Coyle

logrotation
        58767 by: Qmaillist
        58768 by: Greg White
        58769 by: Tim Hunter
        58771 by: Edward J. Allen III

OK - I did not GIVE up - POP3 Problem!!
        58773 by: Kirti S. Bajwa

Re: Connections Deferred
        58774 by: James R Grinter

Fastforward not using users/assign (two questions)?
        58777 by: Leander Berwers
        58798 by: Gerrit Pape

supervised pop3d
        58778 by: Todd A. Jacobs
        58780 by: Tim Hunter
        58782 by: Kris Kelley

pop3d needs SUID root?
        58779 by: Todd A. Jacobs
        58783 by: Chris Johnson
        58784 by: Ricardo Cerqueira
        58785 by: Aaron L. Meehan
        58786 by: Mark Delany
        58787 by: Mark Delany
        58788 by: Aaron L. Meehan

Please help!!!
        58789 by: Avery Brooks
        58792 by: THCI Billing Department

qmail-scanner handoff to qmail-queue not going well
        58790 by: Chris Garrigues

question with qmail-remote
        58797 by: Rick Yang

Administrivia:

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To bug my human owner, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hey,

Background - we have been running a simple newsletter on our site for over a
year now - we coded the adding/remove of people on the list ourself, as it
very customised for the site.  Up to now we have been sending the newsletter
by using qmail-inject for every email address on the list.  Now its got to a
stage which is too much (50,000 email addresses on the list).

I have been reading this list and some people has been talking about sending
the messages stright into qmail-queue and not qmail-inject.

Would this speed up everything for me - less load on the server, faster send
time?

Also someone else mentioned using qmail-remote to send the message, if it
was sent ok move onto the next email, if not put into queue - and they
posted a basic run down of the code needed for this- I have searched for
this and can not find it - any remember it please and would this be better
for me?

I know I should move onto to using exmlm and it a great program, however we
have wrote customised scripts for the newsletter and it working ok - just
the sending of it is poor at the moment.  Also its just a stright send type
newsletter, not a discussion list.

Thanks a lot!

Jon

Jon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Background - we have been running a simple newsletter on our site for over a
> year now - we coded the adding/remove of people on the list ourself, as it
> very customised for the site.  Up to now we have been sending the newsletter
> by using qmail-inject for every email address on the list.  Now its got to a
> stage which is too much (50,000 email addresses on the list).
>
> I have been reading this list and some people has been talking about sending
> the messages stright into qmail-queue and not qmail-inject.
>
> Would this speed up everything for me - less load on the server, faster send
> time?

Provided you supply qmail-queue with all the recipients at once, yes, you
would see a (possibly large) improvement.

If you use qmail-queue this way, you are sending one message to 50000
recipients.  If you call qmail-queue (or qmail-inject) separately for each
recipient, you're queuing 50000 messages, each for one recipient.  There's
a big difference.

Charles

Hi,

Thanks for that - I was reading the man page for qmail-queue and not got a
clue!  So if you could show me how to pass the information needed to
qmail-queue  that would be great (the format of it etc).

Thanks for your help so far!

Jon

Jon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Provided you supply qmail-queue with all the recipients at once, yes, you
> > would see a (possibly large) improvement.
> >
> > If you use qmail-queue this way, you are sending one message to 50000
> > recipients.  If you call qmail-queue (or qmail-inject) separately for each
> > recipient, you're queuing 50000 messages, each for one recipient.  There's
> > a big difference.

> Thanks for that - I was reading the man page for qmail-queue and not got a
> clue!  So if you could show me how to pass the information needed to
> qmail-queue  that would be great (the format of it etc).

The man page actually does have all the necessary information in it.
Create a file for the envelope information; put all fifty thousand recipients in it.
This file has the format
    "F" <sender-address> <NUL>
    "T" <recipient-address <NUL>
    <NUL>

Put the actual email message (properly formatted, with headers) in another
file.  Then run qmail-queue with fd 0 open on the message file, and fd 1
open on the envelope file.  If qmail-queue exits 0, everything went fine.
Otherwise, you didn't do it right.

Charles

Hi,

The first 2 bits are no problem - add all the email addresses into a file
and the message into a file.  But the problem is the final bit -

>Then run qmail-queue with fd 0 open on the message file, and fd 1
> open on the envelope file.

I am trying to do this in perl and don't know how.  So if anyone can point
me in the right direction that would be great.

Thanks for your help today Charles - your been great :-)

All the best,

Jon

<have a great weekend everyone :-) >

Jon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The first 2 bits are no problem - add all the email addresses into a file
> and the message into a file.  But the problem is the final bit -
>
> >Then run qmail-queue with fd 0 open on the message file, and fd 1
> > open on the envelope file.
>
> I am trying to do this in perl and don't know how.  So if anyone can point
> me in the right direction that would be great.

I don't know Perl.  In shell it would be as simple as:

    qmail-queue 0<message.txt 1<envelope.txt

Perhaps a Perl-knowledgable member of this list could supply the equivalent
Perl code.

Charles

* Jon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [010309 11:47]:
> >Then run qmail-queue with fd 0 open on the message file, and fd 1
> > open on the envelope file.
>
> I am trying to do this in perl and don't know how.  So if anyone can point
> me in the right direction that would be great.

Can't remember where I found the help to do this, but I do something similar
in a Perl script, I think. This is untested, so don't complain if it doesn't
work!

  open MSG,"/path/to/the/msgfile" ...
  open ENV,"/path/to/the/envelope" ...

  open \*STDIN,  "<&MSG" ...
  open \*STDOUT, "<&ENV" ...

  $rc = system "/var/qmail/bin/qmail-queue";
  if ($rc) {
    # error; interpret it
  }

I'm especially not sure about the STDOUT bit, but IIRC that's fd 1, and
seems like it's the logical thing.

Good luck! :-)

/pg
--
Peter Green : Gospel Communications Network, SysAdmin : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
---

Hello.

I was searching the newsgroups and discussion lists for about 3 days now
until I thought... why don't you ask the experts.

I tried many tools in order to get to know how much traffic my different
virtual domains on my machine (not every domain has its own IP) comsume.
I tried ISOQLOG (but this did not work, It never showed the right values), I
tried Qmailanalog (but here the output was a bit consufing although it
worked).

With qmailanalog I was able to produce an output with these commands:

cat matched_mail.log | xsender user@xxxxxxxxxx | zrecipients -> this works
cat matched_mail.log | xrecipient user@xxxxxxxxxx | zsenders -> this gives
me chaos

But even with the first output I am not really satisfied because here I
would need to type in every user of a domain (and this might be over 50 or
so).

So I tried to look for other tools but I did not find any.
Someone said that qmailanalog was just a kind of gimmick of the author of
qmail and that in the next version qmailanalog will become obsolete because
logging will be more specific in qmail itself.
When will this version be available?

I hope you have some answers for me since this topic has been discussed a
lot of times.

Thanks in advance.
Stephan Winter

On Fri, Mar 09, 2001 at 12:41:16PM +0100, Qmaillist wrote:
> I tried many tools in order to get to know how much traffic my different
> virtual domains on my machine (not every domain has its own IP) comsume.

Sorry, no script but a way to code ... we use something similar but it
wouldn't help as it is highly dependant on some logging modifications
we'd made.

When you get a new email qmail logs:

mail qmail: 984092366.436762 new msg 603366
mail qmail: 984092366.437102 info msg 603366: bytes 51771 from <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
qp 39056 uid 101

Important is the message number: 603366
This shows up again when qmail delivers the email:

mail qmail: 984092366.476909 starting delivery 573283: msg 603366 to local
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
mail qmail: 984092366.579607 delivery 573283: success: did_1+0+0/

>From this two lines you can see that msg 603366 triggered a delivery
with id 573283 that was successful.

After that qmail is done with the message and logs

mail qmail: 984092366.608063 end msg 603366

With this infos it shouldn't be too hard to code a script that processes
this information and outputs lines like

Bytes   Sender                  Recipient
51771 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

and a postprocessor that e.g. sums up the bytes for each recipient.domain
or [EMAIL PROTECTED]

With all that you should have in mind that the size info is only the
payload (i.e. the number of bytes as seen by qmail) and does not account
for the real TCP/IP and SMTP protocol overhead.

Form our experience during the years you have to multiply by a factor of
1.8 to get close to the average ip traffic each message consumes.

        \Maex

--
SpaceNet AG            | Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14 | Fon: +49 (89) 32356-0
Research & Development |       D-80807 Muenchen    | Fax: +49 (89) 32356-299

Hi,

how should I know, with this little informatin you provided.

At 16:53 9.3.2001 +0700, Chrisanthy Carlane wrote:
>I tried that, and follow the instruction,tried to send an email with "sex"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------^^^ --

The script "checksubj" works case-sensitive. If you didn't modified it,
it only scans for "Sex".

You can change that on demand as described.
Take care that you deleted any potential control characters in the last line.

cheers.

eh.

>subject to an account but didn't find any bounce message.
>
>I've add the 3 files path in the related .qmail file as written in
>installation instruction.
>
>What could be wrong?
>
>Thanks
>Chrisanthy

|  fff        hh         http://www.fehcom.de        Dr. Erwin Hoffmann |
| ff          hh                                                        |
| ff    eee   hhhh      ccc   ooo    mm mm  mm       Wiener Weg 8       |
| fff  ee ee  hh  hh   cc   oo   oo  mmm  mm  mm     50858 Koeln        |
| ff  ee eee  hh  hh  cc   oo     oo mm   mm  mm                        |
| ff  eee     hh  hh   cc   oo   oo  mm   mm  mm     Tel 0221 484 4923  |
| ff   eeee   hh  hh    ccc   ooo    mm   mm  mm     Fax 0221 484 4924  |

Friday March 09 2001 13:30, Erwin Hoffmann wrote to Chrisanthy Carlane:

 EH> Take care that you deleted any potential control characters in the
 EH> last line.

How about posting the scripts compressed on the site? That way funny
browsers won't destroy them. :)

 KS

I seem to be missing 'toupper' on a RH 7.0 system! Where would I get
it?

 KS

... CLEARASOL - Effective sunspot remover.

At 10:21 PM 3/9/01, Kari Suomela wrote:
>Friday March 09 2001 13:30, Erwin Hoffmann wrote to Chrisanthy
>Carlane:
>
>  EH> Take care that you deleted any potential control characters in
> the
>  EH> last line.
>
>How about posting the scripts compressed on the site? That way funny
>browsers won't destroy them. :)

Why not just download it in a way that doesn't catch the characters?

lynx --dump http://www.fehcom.de/qmail/checkattach >>checkattach

or, use DJB's previously mentioned utility.

Todd

Friday March 09 2001 23:42, Todd Finney wrote to All:

 TF> lynx --dump http://www.fehcom.de/qmail/checkattach >>checkattach

This worked!

Thx!

 KS

... A feature is a bug with seniority.

The thing is, that mails are stuck in the queue and I want to make them go
I've tried kill -ALRM qmail-send without succes :((
And now, I'm still stuck and I become crazy #:{{

From: "Kurth Bemis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> At 02:02 PM 3/9/2001, Sean C Truman wrote:
>
> after this post i'm a sending all messages regarding this to > /dev/null
>
> the point that i'm trying to convey is that commercial linux (or any nix
> for that matter) distros are not as good as other alternatives.  Let me
> give several reasons why (IMHO);

Who uses a distro straight out of the box for production use? I dont! Do
you?

> Where ever there is a buck to be made people start getting greedy and no
> longer take pride in their work....EG: Redhat7.  It isn't a distro, its a
> poor excuse for a waste of plastic.  I'm not going to go into the reasons
> why (if your interested contact me off list).  Redhat (and other
companies)
> are competing with each other.  Sure competition is good, however to
> compete they strive to get their product out to the public faster.  this
> means reduced quality of software.  no way around it.....I personally use
> Debian 22r2, why because Debian is IMHO the most robust, stable
> distro.  Debian just works, I install what I want to install and nothing
> more, no X no sendmail if i don't want it, it doesn't get installed.

Guess you haven't installed Redhat very much. They offer what is called a
expert mode
that lets you choose the packages you wish to install.

> Let me put it another way - What is redhat's business plan?  To make
money.
> What is OpenBSD's (Debian, FreeBSD, etc) business plan? Nothing, they
don't
> have one.  There is no money to be made.  This ensures that the OS is
> polished, bugs fixed, and is ready for prime time.  I personally love how
> redhat can package GLP'd software with their "secure server" and sell the
> package for $199.00USD.  Ohhhhh support thats what you want....if you need
> telephone support you probably should be looking over some how-to's or
some
> sort of documentation before installing linux.  The newbies who need
> telephone support are usually the ones who come to lug meetings saying
> things like "Linux sucks, It totally screwed up my whole system" or "I
> tried to start the installation from explorer but it didn't work."

I can download Redhat for free and so can you. They sell support for the
product so they
can have funding to continue the development. Just as OpenBSD sells t-shirts
and CD's to help fund the project.
only difference is that OpenBSD hasn't started selling support yet.

> well - i'll leave you to make your own decision...if you wish to discuss
> the matter further - contact me of list
>
> ~kurth

Sean Truman

Is there anyway to have CHECKATTATCH delete the attatchment before rejecting
it???

        ... the reason is, I've noticed serveral times that the message with
banned attatchement is sent from one our employees to another of our
employees, it is rejected (good) but then sent back to the sender (which of
course is being 'filtered too) which bounces and eventually ends up
bit-bucketed...

If someone would give me a way to send a copy of the mail to another
(un-filtered) account like I've asked before this wouldn't be nessicary...

BUT, if it would strip the attatchment, then at least the sender would know
they've send something bad, and that it was rejected...

Thanks!!!

BELOW IS CHECKATTATCH

______________________

#!/bin/sh
#
printmsg () {
        echo " "
        echo "Sorry, the attachment you sent is in violation of our
company's policy."
        echo "If you have any questions, please direct them to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
        echo " "
        echo "--- Attachment filetype you sent is $ATTYPE"
}

#
checktype () {
        case $ATTYPE in
                VBS | VBE | JSE | CSS | WSH | SCT | HTA | VXD | EXE | DOT |
HLP | PAK | PPS | COM | CMD | OCX | SHS | CLA | AU | DLL)
                        printmsg $ATTYPE
                        exit 100;;
                *)
                        ;;
        esac
}

ATTACHTYPE=`grep "name=" - | awk 'BEGIN {FS="."}; {print toupper($NF)}' |
cut -c -3`
for ATTYPE in $ATTACHTYPE
do
        checktype $ATTYPE
done

exit 0

Hey there guys,

    Below is a copy of my log script (under svc).  The first file listed
simply defines a variable and (from what I understand) operates as a pointer
to the log-functions script.

I was hoping that someone could break this down for me so I could reduce the
information my log file is recording about pop3 connections.  I try to run a
really tight ship over here, and I am finding all this extra information to
be quite a waste of space.  The run-functions script is completely foreign
to me.. And I am not understanding the operators and how the output works
out from the qmail-service to the tcpserver.  After both scripts is an
excerpt out of my maillog log file, and below that is what I would hope I
could have the output look like:

[user1@www /]# less /service/pop3d/log/run
#!/bin/sh
service=pop-3
. /usr/share/qmail/log-functions

[user1@www /]# less /usr/share/qmail/log-functions
#
# log-functions  This file contains functions common to the qmail log
scripts
#

. /usr/share/qmail/run-functions

# Read the default logger command, making sure that any pipe symbols are
# separated, and substituting '{}' with the service name.
readdefault logger logger splogger
logger=`echo $logger | \
        sed -e 's/|/ | /' -e '/{}/!s/$/ '$service/ -e 's/{}/'$service/g`

cd /var/log
exec setuidgid qmaillog $logger

EXERPT FROM MAILLOG
Mar  4 14:30:16 www pop-3: 983745016.901284 tcpserver: status: 1/40
Mar  4 14:30:16 www pop-3: 983745016.904990 tcpserver: pid 6733 from
24.76.51.175
Mar  4 14:30:16 www pop-3: 983745016.927190 tcpserver: ok 6733
:64.69.78.221:110 h24-76-51-175.vf.shawcable.net:24.76.51.175::50666
Mar  4 14:30:18 www pop-3: 983745018.588849 tcpserver: end 6733 status 256
Mar  4 14:30:18 www pop-3: 983745018.591199 tcpserver: status: 0/40

THIS IS WHAT I WOULD LIKE THE EXECRPT FOR LOOK LIKE:
Mar  4 14:40:18 www pop-3: 983745618.531077 tcpserver: ok 13160
:64.69.78.221:110 h24-76-51-175.vf.shawcable.net:24.76.51.175::50677

Basically, I just want one line of information, because this is the ONLY
service I have that is not recording information in this log, it would also
be good for me to be able to remove information from after the date to just
after tcpserver:.  In effect making it look like this:

Mar  4 14:40:18 ok 13160 :64.69.78.221:110
h24-76-51-175.vf.shawcable.net:24.76.51.175::50677

The only other thing that is not necessary is showing the server IP:PORT
(64.69.78.221:110).. But that is the least of my worries.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Sean

Just wanted to send a word of thanks to the list.  Thanks to the input I
received from members of the list I have convinced the software vendor to
include this fix in their next major release (currently in round one beta).

An organized description of the problems and solution would make a great
addition to the FAQ (or maybe a link from
http://cr.yp.to/docs/smtplf.html?), and I think would assist other like me
to convince their software manufacturers to make such changes.  My biggest
hurdle was convincing the company specifically how they were actually
violating the RFCs.

Thanks again!

-Cameron

--------------------
Cameron Childress
elliptIQ Inc.
p.770.460.7277.232
f.770.460.0963

Further to my original message, I believe that this very lucid description
(received offlist) of the RFC violation is what swung the vendor's pendulum
in favor of modifying the software.

---<Credit to Frank Cringle>---
For practical purposes it violates the combination of RFC821 and
RFC822.

821 says:
    text line
       The maximum total length of a text line including the
       <CRLF> is 1000 characters (but not counting the leading
       dot duplicated for transparency).

822 explicitly allows bare linefeeds but also makes it clear that
lines are terminated by CRLF, thus implying that bare linefeeds are
just strange characters embedded inside lines and are not themselves
terminators.  Under this interpretation though, if you have more than
1000 characters (for instance 11 "lines" of 100 characters each, with
bare LF between them) you are violating RFC821.  Generate a message
like that with these peoples software, trace it going over the wire
with tcpdump and point out the problem to them.
---</credit>---

Again, seeing this text on the FAQ or Bare LF error page could be of great
benefit to other people in my situation...

Thanks!

--------------------
Cameron Childress
elliptIQ Inc.
p.770.460.7277.232
f.770.460.0963

I _think_ this is hotmails way of telling you the message size exceeds the
mailbox size.

From: "Joan Heuston" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "David" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Trip
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 21:08:39 -0600

I ran them through a slightly modified version of the mailroute.pl script to
see this:

Thu Mar  8 2001 20:59:37 (from default [12.41.197.55])
                         by sweep2 (NAVIEG 2.1 bld 63)
                         with SMTP id M2001030820593623359
                         for <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                20:59:40 from sweep2 [207.243.105.243]
                         by mail.1starnet.com (SMTPD32-6.05) id A71C11570140
                20:59:41 from mailgate.1starnet.com (HELO mail.1starnet.com)
([207.243.104.248]) (envelope-sender <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)
                         by cust-46-98.customer.jump.net (qmail-ldap-1.03)
                         with SMTP
                         for <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                20:59:42 from [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                         by hydepark-jump.vircio.com
                         with qmail-scanner-0.90 (uvscan: v4.0.50/v4115. . Clean.
Processed in 0.328525 secs)
                20:59:42 (qmail 32510 invoked by uid 84)
Fri      9      05:20:54 from hydepark-jump.vircio.com (qmailr@[10.1.1.1])
(envelope-sender <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)
                         by hackberry.vircio.com (qmail-ldap-1.03)
                         with SMTP
                         for <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                05:20:54 (qmail 19114 invoked from network)

2001-03-09 05:18:35.339952500 HydePark-Jump.virCIO.Com: new msg 50506
2001-03-09 05:18:35.475620500 HydePark-Jump.virCIO.Com: info msg 50506: bytes 4620
from <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> qp 32510 uid 84
2001-03-09 05:18:54.574282500 HydePark-Jump.virCIO.Com: starting delivery 542: msg
50506 to local [EMAIL PROTECTED]
2001-03-09 05:18:54.685686500 HydePark-Jump.virCIO.Com: delivery 542: success:
did_0+0+0/
2001-03-09 05:20:53.589986500 HydePark-Jump.virCIO.Com: starting delivery 895: msg
50506 to remote [EMAIL PROTECTED]
2001-03-09 05:20:54.606229500 HydePark-Jump.virCIO.Com: delivery 895: success:
10.1.1.5_accepted_message./Remote_host_said:_250_ok_984136854_qp_19114/
2001-03-09 05:20:54.608846500 HydePark-Jump.virCIO.Com: end msg 50506
2001-03-09 05:20:59.447298500 Hackberry.virCIO.Com: new msg 22132
2001-03-09 05:20:59.447644500 Hackberry.virCIO.Com: info msg 22132: bytes 4911 from
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> qp 19114 uid 101
2001-03-09 05:21:02.173139500 Hackberry.virCIO.Com: starting delivery 644: msg 22132
to local [EMAIL PROTECTED]
2001-03-09 05:21:02.210565500 Hackberry.virCIO.Com: starting delivery 645: msg 22132
to local [EMAIL PROTECTED]
2001-03-09 05:21:03.041980500 Hackberry.virCIO.Com: delivery 644: success: did_0+0+0/
2001-03-09 05:21:03.098023500 Hackberry.virCIO.Com: delivery 645: success: did_1+0+0/
2001-03-09 05:21:03.437875500 Hackberry.virCIO.Com: end msg 22132

This afternoon's hackery was to extract my hostname from the headers and grovel
through the logs to find the info you see at the bottom.

Anyway, as you can see, qmail-scanner appears to have handed the message off
to qmail-queue at Thu Mar  8 2001 20:59:42 according to the headers, but it
doesn't show up in the logs until 2001-03-09 05:18:35.339952500.

I'm very confused here.  It is true that qmail-queue adds the
(qmail 32510 invoked by uid 84) line, right?  How can it possibly not log it
until so many hours later?

I have a job that kicks all sorts of things in the wee hours, so I suspect
that it's probably what allows things to finally flow, but what might be
hanging things for that long?  Would this be a symptom of qmail simply not
running even though qmail-smtpd is?

Chris

--
Chris Garrigues                 http://www.DeepEddy.Com/~cwg/
virCIO                          http://www.virCIO.Com

  My email address is an experiment in SPAM elimination.  For an
  explanation of what we're doing, see http://www.DeepEddy.Com/tms.html

    Nobody ever got fired for buying Microsoft,
      but they could get fired for relying on Microsoft.

PGP signature

Hi,

I recently installed qmail on my server with virtual domain support, and I found this snapshot while checking the processes.

1141 ?        S      0:00 qmail-remote newsletter.join4free.com  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

This domain was never allowed to relay on my qmail configuration. And it seems that this domain is trying to email his mailing list through my qmtp server.

How would I block off this domain through qmail configuration?

Rick Yang