> Yes. This behaviour is known. Fixing it, however, involves a *huge*
> performance downgrade of qmail-pop3d.

Not if it's calculated as the file is written to the Maildir.

> 'Usually, during the AUTHORIZATION state of the POP3 session, the POP3
> server can calculate the size of each message in octets when it opens
> the maildrop. ..... simply counts each occurance of this character in
> a message as two octets.'

Typical of those RFCs authors that, consciously or otherwise, used a
single implementation to guide much of their thinking on protocol
design. POP3 is not the only standard that suffers as a consequence -
consider SMTP and DNS?

We shouldn't have to live with short-sightedness forever.

Regards.