"Brett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I'm trying to implement VERP for my own user address, that is, an address
>that's not a mailing list.
>
>I found a VERP page (quoted below) and according to that I should touch
>~/.qmail-me-owner and ~/.qmail-me-owner-default. Then if I set the
>QMAILINJECT environment variable to 'r', I'm ready to go. I call:
>
>echo to:[EMAIL PROTECTED] | /var/qmail/bin/qmail-inject
>
>and I check the log. The mail is sent to [EMAIL PROTECTED] not
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] as I was lead to believe would occur
>automatically. Then when it bounces, it goes to [EMAIL PROTECTED] You see, it
>adds that "-" after "me" like it's trying to do the VERP address but then
>doesn't add the noone info. I know I'm messing up a step (perhaps several)
>but I don't know where. Anyone? I'm humbled by all your linux/qmail/computer
>stuff in general knowledge. Thanks again.

No, you're not messing anything up. There are two kinds of bounces:
those generated remotely and those generated locally. If the local
system is not able to pass a message off to a remote system, the
bounce generated will be local--from your qmail--and it'll go to the
"me-" address rather than the me-user%host VERP address. This is done
this way because the local bounce can contain multiple undeliverable
addresses. To process these bounces, you need to parse the
QSMBF-format bounce message that qmail generates.

-Dave