"KEVIN ZEMBOWER" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I'm trying to determine how to control where mail gets forward to
>when mailed to "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" (one of my hosts).
>
>1. africaalive.org is a CNAME for virtual.jhuccp.org. (This seems to
>   be backwards in the DNS, where looking up virtual.jhuccp.org
>   determines that the canonical name is africaalive.org. Odd...) In
>   the DNS records, this is recorded as "africaalive.org internet
>   address = 162.129.225.199". This is the IP address of
>   virtual.jhuccp.org. However, there are no MX records in the DNS
>   for either africaalive.org or virtual.jhuccp.org. There is an MX
>   record for jhuccp.org. This is my first question, how is mail to
>   africaalive.org even finding us to begin with? This address does
>   work correctly.

If there's no MX entry, CNAME (or A) are used.

>2. In reading the qmail manuals, I learned the importance of
>   /var/qmail/control/rcpthost and virtualdomains. Here's the content
>   of these files:
>virtual:/var/qmail/control # cat rcpthosts
>localhost
>virtual.jhuccp.org
>africaalive.org
>virtual:/var/qmail/control # cat virtualdomains
>africaalive.org:africaalive.org
>virtual:/var/qmail/control #
>
>From my reading, the first value in the virtualdomains files
>identifies a local user to send mail to which arrived addressed to
>the second value.

Close. It's a *prefix*. Mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] will be delivered
locally to africaalive.org-foo.

>However, I have no user "africaalive.org" on host
>virtual.

That could be a problem, especially if you also don't have a
~alias/.qmail-africaalive:org-default file to "catch" the virtual
domain's mail.

>There's also no /etc/aliases file, though I do have an
>/etc/aliases.db file. I can't figure out how to get into the
>aliases.db file to see if there's an alias for africaalive.org in
>there.

qmail doesn't use /etc/aliases unless you have fastforward
installed. It never uses /etc/aliases.db.

>I'm not very familiar with qmail and probably haven't read the
>documentation as throughly as I should, but none of this is making
>sense. Would someone please give me a hand and point me in the right
>direction to figure this out.

Start with "Life with qmail":

  http://www.lifewithqmail.org

-Dave