"Alle"<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>hi, I'm alessandro from Italy

Welcome. I'm Dave from Tennessee, USA.

>I'm using Qmail with XINETD, and it *works*

Are you sure? :-)

>When I send a mail to someone, qmail appends
>a "" to the end of the TO field, so if the the recipients' email
>is <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, qmail try to connect to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]"">
>and fails..

Right away I'm thinking "RELAYCLIENT"...

>This problem doesn't exist if i send a mail trough qmail-inject..

And this nearly clinches it.

I suspect you're using xinetd to set RELAYCLIENT to enable selective
relaying. What you want is for RELAYCLIENT to be set to the null
string for hosts allowed to relay. You're probably saying something
like:

  RELAYCLIENT=""

But apparently xinetd is not setting RELAYCLIENT to the null string,
it's setting it to, literally, "". And according to the qmail-smtpd
man page:

            Exception: If the environment variable RELAYCLIENT is
            set, qmail-smtpd  will  ignore  rcpthosts,  and  will
            append  the  value  of  RELAYCLIENT  to each incoming
            recipient address.

So, perhaps setting RELAYCLIENT like:

  RELAYCLIENT=

in your xinetd config will do the trick.

>The curious thing is that if I put in the FROM field an external
>address, qmail is able to send-out
>the error message whitout any problem!!!

Not sure what's going on there, though.

-Dave