Graham H. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Well, I can send mail to cnmnetwork.com fine.  telnet
> cnmnetwork.com 25, and you'll get the MTA.  However, domains
> like aol.com, netzero.net, and probably many others, who
> don't run MTAs on x.com, I can't reach.

This is expected behaviour.

> Example: telnet aol.com 25.  You'll get no response.  It seems as if I have
> to mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] in order to get my
> message across.

It's not "some random server".  It's the mail exchanger(s) for the domain in
question.  DNS records include this information.  Use your favourite DNS query
tool to retrieve the MX records for aol.com, for example.

qmail does this on its own -- if DNS isn't working, you shouldn't be able to
send mail anywhere remote (well, except for those domains you've hardcoded
with smtproutes entries).  Post the unedited output of qmail-showctl, log
entries showing your problem, and a better summary.

Charles