Marek Szuba <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>The thing is: there is a host called stargate.net.local doing IP
>masquerading for a LAN, which is known to the outside world as
>zone13.outside.net. I'd like to set up qmail on this host in such a way
>that:
> - all the mail sent from stargate to any other machine on the LAN will have
>all the sender's data similar to: Joe Blow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> - all the mail sent from stargate to the Internet will have all that data
>similar to: Joe Blow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> - all the main sent from the LAN to the Internet (and relayed by
>stargate, of course) will have it like: Joe Blow
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,

What about mail from within the LAN address to recipients both local
and outside the LAN? E.g.,

  From: Joe Blow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  To: John Doe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jane Roe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Would John receive a message from [EMAIL PROTECTED] while Jane
receives one from [EMAIL PROTECTED]?

Why not just masquerade everything with the external domain?

>Can anyone help me with that? I've been trying to solve that myself, and
>failed - qmail lacks good documentation I'm afraid.

I disagree. I'm not just tooting my own horn (Life with qmail), but
the man pages, FAQ's, www.qmail.org, and various user contributed docs
are generally quite good.

>I've also asked in numerous places places and noone was able to help
>me. I've started wondering if qmail is capable of handling such
>complicated transpations at all, and whether I shouldn't restart
>using sendmail after all...

I'd like to hear more about how sendmail handles such configurations.

-Dave