Hi,

---------------Original Message------------------
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 11:57:55 -0400 (EDT)
>From: kamesh jayachandran <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: Santosh Pasi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Re: Re: smtp times out
>
>Hai,
>Thanks again.
>my resolv.conf file is,
>
>nameserver 172.16.69.7   //local ip
>nameserver 202.54.1.30
>nameserver 164.164.4.5
>nameserver 164.164.128.16

Is 172.16.69.7 is your local dns server?
more over there are four entries for nameserver, which is wrong
according to RFCs.
so for time being and testing, just remove first entry and try ...
sending mail to say yahoo, hotmail, rediff.
If it goes, then try sending mails to your internal network, if it gives
error this time, then make second nameserver as 172.16.69.7 (again if it is
your dns server)
before that try to ping to 202.54.1.30?

As you are behind firewall, make sure in firewall server or routers, to
enable support for smtp and related protocols.

>$echo "hai"|/var/qmail/bin/qmail-remote smtp.mail.yahoo.com kameshj
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>It works by giving out the message that "not able to resolve the sender
>domain"(since my machine is behind the firewall,I am just playing with
>qmail so that I can install it at production machines).
>
>$echo "hai"|/var/qmail/bin/qmail-remote ductape.net kameshj
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>just returns(meaning that it is not successful).
>samething happens for other domains like shellyeah.org,etc.
>will the order of nameserver entries in /etc/resolv.conf affect the
>lookup?

Yes, it matters, it looks first nameserver .. if it does't resolve or
find records in two sec, it goes to next namserver( afaik and rfc says)

Santosh Pasi