Hi all,

qmail is now up, fixed, happy. Thanks to Joel Michael, from sage australia
for his help.

So how did I fix it? well... to be quite honest I gave up trying to fix it,
and just reinstalled everything from scratch, because I was getting close to
the point of committing computer murder.

But, a couple of notes. I'm pretty sure it was caused by a couple of things
- permissions of files/directories, and the contents of the qmail-smtpd/send
scripts, which tell it how to deliver stuff.

The send script runs
/var/qmail/rc

which in turn,(now) runs:

exec env - PATH="/var/qmail/bin:$PATH" \
qmail-start "`cat /var/qmail/control/defaultdelivery`"

Whereas before, it was running ???

defaultdelivery contains ./Maildir/

so that mail is sent to the /Maildir/ instead of a mailbox file.

The other change of note was making sure that the other startup scripts were
pointing at the correct directory for tcp.pop3.cdb etc etc. An example looks
like:

VPOPMAILUID=`id -u vpopmail`
VCHKPWGID=`id -g vpopmail`
        env - PATH="/var/qmail/bin:/usr/local/bin" \
**-->   /usr/local/bin/tcpserver -v -p -x <path-to>/tcp.pop3.cdb \    <--***
        -u $VPOPMAILUID -g $VCHKPWGID 0 pop3 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup \
        your.host.name.here ~vpopmail/bin/vchkpw \
        /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d Maildir 2>&1

Cheers,

Chris