joshua,

you're probably not going to like my answer (since it is one of those 'do
lots of work now for less work later' options), but we use logical volume
managers on most of the production systems around here.  you didn't say
what operating system you're using but AIX, HPUX, Solaris and now even
linux (with the Linux LVM project at sistina.com and now the EVMS port of
AIX's excellent LVM to linux as well at sourceforge.net/projects/evms).

all of these solutions allow a properly-prepared filesystem (in linux ext2
and reiser can both apply) to be resized as the underlying logical volume
is increased in size.  once you go down this route, you'll never want to

anyway, this doesn't solve your problem in the short run, but it would
have solved your problem if you'd gone this direction several months ago
(ach, the irony!).

todd underwood
vice president &
   chief technology officer