newbieportal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm still trying to utilize qmail with my web based mailing list.
> my ideas.
>
> 1. instead of using mail program /usr/sbin/sendmail
> I wanted to use /var/qmail/bin/qmail-qmtpd to send mail and it did not work.

Why?  qmail-qmtpd is a daemon that accepts mail over the network, much like
qmail-smtpd.  However, QMTP, as a protocol, is harder to speak than SMTP (as
Dan says, it was designed for speed, not simplicity).  Using QMTP buys you
nothing over speaking SMTP, or, for that matter, using qmail's sendmail
wrapper, qmail-inject, or qmail-queue.

"What problem are you trying to solve?"  In other words, what is it about
qmail's sendmail wrapper that prevents you from using it?

> 2. Okay how about this, instead of sending these mails directly, I want to
> queue them first and send later.  say I have 1000 emails in my mysql
> database, when I try to loop through the emails and trying to send the mails
> at the same time takes too long.  I can't have everyone wait long time since
> the mailing stops when someone closes out the browser. so is there a way to
> just queue them and have it send on the back groud.

If it's the same message going to 1000 recipients (as opposed to 1000
different messages going to one recipient each), you're doing it incorrectly
and inefficiently.  Just feed the message to qmail-inject (or the sendmail
wrapper) with all recipients in one message.  Open a pipe to qmail-inject and
send the message: