> On Mon, Jun 11, 2001 at 05:58:19PM -0400, Reid Sutherland allegedly wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >     I'd like to be able to suspend a POP3 account without changing the
> > client's password.  Is there anything I can do to the home directory or
> > Maildir to accomplish this?
> >
> >     What I'm doing the for incoming mail is a simple .qmail file that
> > creates a message and spits back an error saying the account is
suspended
> > (sort of like a vacation program).  So I want to make sure the .qmail is
> > usable but also prevent the client from logging in via POP3.  I've
attempted
> > changing the ownership of the Maildir to someone else, but that didn't
work
> > and only defered incoming messages.
>
> Do you still want incoming mail delivered for such accounts?

No.  It's as if the account is dead, but the username is kept active.  I've
already created a .qmail that produces a bounce.

> If so, the easiest thing to do is change the name of Maildir to, say,
> Maildir.suspended and then in the .qmail file go:
>
> ./Maildir.suspended/
> | bouncesaying "Account suspended"
>

> When they become active again, remove the .qmail file and rename
> Maildir.suspended back to Maildir. Don't forget the chmod +t $HOME to
> defer any deliveries while you are making these changes.
>

> If you do not want the incoming mail delivered, then a permission
> change plus a .qmail file that only generates a bounce message is
> fine.
>
> Mind you, the POP error message they get wont be very friendly and
> maybe that's the intent. If it's not, you could additionally create a
> hand-crafted Maildir that has just one message in it regarding the
> suspension.

I've attempted a permission change on the Maildir, but then it won't run the
program in the .qmail file.
So to sum this up, I want to prevent both POP3 login and SMTP delivery, and
I've already done the SMTP prevention.

-reid