* [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [010618 16:37]:
> On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, Virginia Chism wrote:
> > Someone told me to try 'killall -SIGHUP qmail', but someone else said this
> > might kill everything running - that the machine would not read to the
> > 'qmail' at the end of the line.
> That is not true, killall only kills the specified command with the
> specified signal.

Sure about that? On *every* machine?

It even says in the killall(1) man page:

  Be warned that typing killall name may not have the desired effect on
  non- Linux systems, especially when done by a privileged user.

Ooh, how about the Solaris 2.6 killall(1M) man page?

  killall is used by shutdown(1M) to kill all active processes
  not directly related to the shutdown procedure.

  killall terminates all processes with open files so that the
  mounted file systems will be unbusied and can be unmounted.

  killall sends signal (see kill(1)) to the active  processes.
  If no signal is specified, a default of 15 is used.

So it's probably not a good idea...

/pg
--
Peter Green : Architekton Internet Services, LLC : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
---