I missed the original disucssion but I never saw a config file posted to
the archive so here's one.

Critiques of the following setup are welcome.
However please note **This is a small qmail site and I am very familiar
with tcpwappers already**
So arguments about reliability at very high utilization rates don't sway
me.  xinetd has served me reasonably well  so I don't choose to learn a
new way of accomplishing these tasks.

kk

more /etc/xinetd.conf /etc/xinetd.d/qmail
::::::::::::::
/etc/xinetd.conf
::::::::::::::
#
# Simple configuration file for xinetd
#
# Some defaults, and include /etc/xinetd.d/

defaults
{
       instances               = 60
       log_type                = SYSLOG authpriv
       log_on_success          = HOST PID
       log_on_failure          = HOST RECORD
}

includedir /etc/xinetd.d
::::::::::::::
/etc/xinetd.d/qmail
::::::::::::::
# default: off
service smtp
{
       flags                   = NAMEINARGS
       socket_type             = stream
       wait                    = no
       user                    = qmaild
       server                  = /usr/sbin/tcpd
       server_args             = /var/qmail/bin/tcp-env
/var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd
       disable                 = no
}