> > I understand that Free BSD and Linux are the overwhelming choices of the
> > Internet pornography industry.  That is a good technical figure of merit,
> > because it means these servers are stable (for HTTP) when getting lots and
> > lots of hits.
>
> Actually, Linux and FreeBSD are the systems of choice in startup porn
> companies because of their low cost.  Once a company begins to move
> major traffic they find that low cost systems have too many
> limitations to handle what the leaders of the company want to do.
> This is when they use their new found wealth to buy Solaris.

        This is now officially a troll.  So next time you see an
installation for a porn site pushing over 300Mbps that's running
Solaris, show me/tell me: I'll be amazed.  Linux is what most startup
porn joints use because they're new to the business and Linux has hype
and media attention.  Once the traffic gets up there, the traffic starts
to exceed 60-120Mbps, then you'll see a switch from Linux to FreeBSD.
In there somewhere you'll see them experiment with Solaris and watch it
crumble and fail miserably in the Mbps / $ calculation.  Solaris is
good for running on redundant hardware where you can hot-swap anything
out at any time to maintain real 24/7.  Go back to your hobbit hole or
email me and I'll setup a different list to talk about the merits of
various operating systems that I've used in my day and the various
installations/companies I've done work for.

        This thread is now officially dead unless resurrected on a
different mailing list.  -sc

--
Sean Chittenden

PGP signature