Oh, Charles...I'm feeling impetuous. Please believe me, it wasn't an
insult and I'm not into dicksize wars...Just got carried away. Sorry.
I just took slight offense with you stating your email stats. We're all
busy, eh?

> > Big question:  if you don't want the box to receive mail over the
> network, why run an SMTP daemon in the first place?
>
> Oh, I see -- later on, you state you _do_ want it to receive mail over
> the network.

Ummmm, not precisely. I don't want outside world mail coming in. I simply
want to relay internal traffic out. With the exception of me and the
guy who is *supposed* to be sysadmin'ing this box, no one inside on the LAN
has an account on the box.

> I think you've made things much more complex than necessary.  There is
> lots of documentation on selective relaying with qmail and tcpserver.

Charles, in all seriousness, no BS'ing, no being snide, anything, I am a
newbie.
A very new newbie to qmail and linux. When the consultant hired to do all
this
work bailed, I got tagged for the job. I read a ton of stuff on the web. I
joined
this list. I couldn't get selective relaying to work. Period.

So the advice, I think from Robin, was to reinstall and follow the LWQ
directions
to a T - which I did with the exceptions of installing daemontools. The
daemontools
that I installed are 0.76 and not 0.70 as in the LWQ doc.

Still could not get selective relaying to go. I was frantic and guessing.
Thought
maybe it was a DNS problem but when I brought that to the list and DNS got
ruled out.

Long story short: If Lukas Beeler hadn't told me to do a command I have
NEVER in
6 years of working with SCO UNIX used or even knew existed and you hadn't
explained
to me about xinetd and wrappers I would still be begging for assistance.

So yes, there are good docs on the web. But none that I was able to find
addressed the
possibility that if you screwed up your run file either a) xinetd might take
over
(because someone before you had tinkered with it) and make qmail mail an
open relay
or b) smtp would not run as a daemon at all.

And not knowing sh*t about what I was really doing on a new OS with a new
product
I really think that maybe there is a bit of a gap in documentation - unless
really balled up and missed it somewhere. I was doing everything the docs
and
faqs had told me to do but selective relaying didn't work. Maybe I missed it
when I didn't read the testing docs??

That's my two cents worth. I think maybe I should stop wasting everyone's
time
and bandwidth and call this closed unless someone wants to do rebuttal.

Thanks,

Scott