> Andrea mentioned that AFS is very similar to CODA, and the CODA
> solution is
> to use rename() as I was planning on doing. Peter had cautioned
> that rename
> will overwrite existing files whereas hard links will not lose
> any existing
> files. Archived discussion threads indicate that renaming is still
> relatively safe because the email file name is composed of the
> current date/time, PID and host name and it is unlikely that the
> PID would recycle within 1 second.

I think rename() is safe. Even link() is of course better, the event
that two nodes of the cluster are writing a mail with same
data,pid,hostname (???) is obviously very very rare (impossible?).

> The extended explanation of the problem is that AFS implements
> its own ACL,
> so that even the Unix root user may have no access to a users ~home
> directory; the holds true also that a user who has managed to log
> in to the
> Linux/Unix box may have no access to his own ~home directory.

Like Coda.

> Access to AFS
> files are granted by tokens issued by the AFS/Kerberos
> authentication server.

Like Coda, but Coda doesn't use kerberos.

> So during mail delivery, qmail-lspawn will setuid to become the
> email receipient, except that in most cases, this user will not
> have a valid
> token.

I don't know well AFS, but with Coda / Vpopmail is trivial. It's
sufficient to get a token for vpopmail and root users.

When qmail starts, it launch 2 scripts to get root and vpopmail
tokens. Then, crontab perform authentication for root / vpopmail
every 4 hours (security reasons, tokens are valid for much longer).

I really didn't need to patch qmail-local.

> In conjunction with all of the above, I will need a cron job to
> periodically
> refresh qmaill's AFS/Kerberos token so that qmaill will always
> have a valid
> token in order to make use of the ACL privileges that have been
> given to qmaill.

Yep. But I don't see the needs for patching qmail-local.c (except for
rename()).
- ---
Cordiali saluti / Best regards
Andrea Cerrito