Von: Brett Randall [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Gesendet: Montag, 13. August 2001 17:18
An: Wolfgang Pichler
Cc: QMail Mailling List
Betreff: Re: off topic

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> Hi

Mornin.

> It's a little bit off topic,

comp.security.firewalls
comp.os.linux.networking

> but does anywhere know which ports to open on my firewall so that
> qmail works correctly.

25 outbound if you only want to send e-mail to external sites. 25
inbound as well if you have a mail server in a DMZ.

> At the moment I've opend dns,smtp and pop3 but when i activate the
> firewall some messages can't be delivered (wasn't able to establish
> an smtp connection),

Log entries? Kernel details? OS even? There is a big diff between
Linux and FreeBSD. Hec, there is a big diff between Linux v2.0, v2.2
and v2.4 firewalling. How are we meant to help you if we don't even
know the foundation?

> but when i try to telnet to the specified rcpt-server everything
> works really fine.

rcpt-server = really crazy parrot tarot-server? What do you mean,
rcpt-server? Do you mean the remote MX?

> So what happend here ? (if i open the firewall for everything, then
> the messages are leaving the queue)

Nice... I think it's probably safer you leave the firewall
open. Really.
--
"Bubble Memory, n.: A derogatory term, usually referring to a person's
intelligence. See also vacuum tube."

- The Devil's Dictionary to Computer Studies