Tom Collins wrote:

On Jan 7, 2004, at 4:33 PM, Philipp Wagner wrote:

[questions if idn-domains are supported]

It's obvious that this is going to be a significant issue for vpopmail and qmailadmin. On the backend, we'll be storing everything in 7-bit ASCII (xn--schlerzeitung-yob.net in the example given above), but allow for users to enter unicode names into the command-line programs for vpopmail, and display the properly formatted name in qmailadmin.

[some interesting information and questions skipped :-)]

The system is quite simple to understand. All conversion of IDN-Domainnames are done by the client. That means, that the internal used domainnames are still 7-bit ASCII, only they are displayed as UTF-8.
That means further, that all on the Userinterface displayed domainnames have to be decoded from Punycode to UTF-8 (which also means, that we have to get UTF-8 as standard encoding for all pages), and all domainnames in the input-fields converted from UTF-8 to punycode-strings.
That is done the easiest way by using the libidn-library, that is found under http://www.gnu.org/software/libidn/. It provides encoding and decoding of punycode strings and has an easy to use API.
There are no mayor changes in the code, only a changes at the output- and input functions.
I'm not a c-programmer and can't do the changes, but I'll help you as good as I can with information on this topic.
All relevant RFCs (3490, 3491, 3492) are linked on the libidn-page.

greetings, Philipp