I noticed the following problem in 1.2.3 and it is unchanged in 1.2.8.  In
the case of a user with "Standard (No Forwarding)" selected and "Spam
Detection?" checked, if I modify the user/.qmail file by hand as follows:

    change      |/usr/bin/kdelivermail

    to          |/usr/bin/kdelivermail2

then qmailadmin shows the same state after the change.  Any change besides
adding characters at the end is recognized as not the standard no-forward
spam-filtering state.  But characters added at the end are apparently
ignored in the comparison.

Unfortunately I rather liked (better) how version 1.2.3 displayed a
hand-modified .qmail file in the case where a change other than additional
characters at the end of the line is made.  It displayed the entire line as
the forward-to text.  This at least let me know the state of the file in a
way that I could recognize from within qmailadmin.  On the other hand I can
see that that was not a great solution either.

So I have the following suggestions.

(1) Tighten up the logic for detecting a match against one of the standard
qmail-admin states so that trailing characters are not ignored.

(2) When a case is detected that does not match one of the standard states,
display the .qmail lines under a "Custom" editing mode that permits editing.

I realize that item (2) is probably not trivial to accomplish.  The
following idea comes to mind as a starting point.

Add an additional "Custom" section under the "Spam Detection?" section.
Provide a top-level 2-state radio button which chooses between "Standard"
(at the top) which enables all the current stuff, and "Custom" (at the
bottom) which enables the new stuff.  Attempt to design the logic such that
full state info can be retained for both standard and custom, so that it is
possible to switch back and forth between the two without any loss of state,
i.e. without the need to reenter the Standard info when switching back to
Standard or the Custom info when switching back to Custom.  I'm thinking
that this might be achievable by judicious use of comment lines.  IIRC
qmailadmin already special-cases having the first-line commented out, but I
can't remember the details.

Maybe it could even be possible to enable both Standard and Custom
(resulting in more active lines in the .qmail file), in which case radio
buttons are not suitable.

Thanks,
Kurt Bigler