On Fri, 2006-01-06 at 15:25 -0600, Brent Dacus wrote:
> Johnny,
>
> I is my pleasure to speak to you, I love CentOS.
>
> So if I edit Jake or Nick's dependency script and add all the horde
> packs I should be fine? What should I look to configure?
>
> Thanks

I would just use yum to install them ...

httpd, mysql and php all need to be up and functioning before installing
the horde apps (those are also required for qmailtoaster to work, so
they are already setup if you have a functional qmailtoaster running).

The Horde RPMS are in the extras repository (which is enabled by default
in CentOS), so you can install them using yum:

yum groupinstall Horde-Apps

BUT, that is just the beginning of the install.

You would then need to go to the /usr/share/horde/docs and follow the
INSTALL document for the Horde Framework.  (The things you need to
install are the extra pear modules and do all the database create
scripts and configure ... you do not need to setup apache or
compile/untar anything).

You would also need to do the same for all the other apps that are
included (gollem, imp, ingo, kronolith, mnemo, nag, and turba).  There
is a docs directory under each individual app directory ... for
example /usr/share/horde/gollem/docs/ ... and an INSTALL document in
each.

Once all the databases are created and the pear stuff is right, you need
to make the conf.php file in each app's config directory owned by the
user that runs your web server (usually apache in CentOS, but it could
be different if changed by the user ... look in
your /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf file for the User and Group directives
and make note of what they are, usually both are set to apache)

So each conf.php file in each config directory
(ie, /usr/share/horde/config/conf.php
and /usr/share/horde/gollem/config/conf.php ... and the other modules)
need to have the following command done on them (from within their
directory):

chown apache:apache conf.php

(if apache is the User and Group used to run the web server)

Once all the conf.php files are writable by the web server, you would go
to:

http://your.servername.here/horde/

and set up each app as instructed in the install docs.

Horde is a very detailed setup, even with the RPMS.

You would also want to look at /etc/httpd/conf.d/horde.conf and make
sure it is what you want ... it is probably OK.

If your server is using SELinux, you would need to work with your
profiles and rules to allow the webserver user to update the conf.php
files as well.
I don't like the way the pear modules need to be updated/installed ...
basically you can use the command:

pear list

to get your current modules that are installed ... and you can do
upgrade the modules (for each module listed EXCEPT "PEAR"):

pear upgrade module_name

If/when PHP is upgraded (actually the rpm named php-pear), you will need
to re-upgrade the base modules (which is a major PITA).  Those base pear
modules currently are:

Installed packages:
===================
Package        Version State
Archive_Tar    1.1     stable
Console_Getopt 1.2     stable
DB             1.6.2   stable
HTTP           1.2.2   stable
Mail           1.1.3   stable
Net_SMTP       1.2.3   stable
Net_Socket     1.0.1   stable
PEAR           1.3.2   stable
XML_Parser     1.0.1   stable
XML_RPC        1.1.0   stable

Just for the record, Greg Swallow (SME Server project) did some of the
original spec files for the Horde apps (with I used as a template to
create the rest) and he is currently trying to work with RHEL and Fedora
to make it easier to upgrade the pear modules as RPMS.  Greg and I have
corresponded on this and I agree with the patch he has submitted ...
hopefully upstream will do something soon.

Since CentOS is an enterprise distro, we want to wait to see how
upstream is going to handle the pear RPMS issue before we roll something
into CentOS ... as we are committed to maintaining what we do for 7
years.

---
Thanks,
Johnny Hughes