Hi Nick,

I just tried what you suggested but it did not work.

I have optimum online. they only allow to use mail.optonline.net as the smtp. when i do a telnet mail.optonline.net 25 it redirects to mta*.srv.hcvlny.cv.net (* being from 1 - 10). when i telnet mta*.srv.hcvlny.cv.net 25 nothing happens as if the server(s) is down. if you look at my header it will show it is coming from mta*.srv.hcvlny.cv.net but in my smtproutes i have :mail.optonline.net defined.

Thanks.

john.

Quoting Nick Hemmesch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Hi John,

Are you saying that the mail sent from your mail server is being rejected?

If that is what's happening, I helped someone with a similar problem some
time ago.  If I remember correctly, we setup his dns spf statement to just
one of his ISPs mail servers. Then we set that server in smtproutes to
send his mail through that specific server and it worked for him.

Hope that is of help to you.

Regards,

Nick

problem now is that my isp has TOO many mta servers (10 so far that i
know of) and when i put all those 10 mta's in my SPF, it exceeds 512
character limit. should i just disregard spf altogether since my
e-mail gets rejected anyway? are there any other mechanisms like spf
that i can use? what should i do?

Quoting Erik Espinoza <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Nope

i don't think they do.

Received-SPF:  none (myserver.mydomain.com: domain at optonline.net
 does not designate permitted sender hosts)

so i guess there is nothing i can do?