Hello all --

       A bit of an update on my situation. As those who follow from
the beginning may see, I somehow ended up with problems with my
installation of courier-authlib, with pieces going amongst the
missing. I completed an uninstall and a re-install of those packages
(courier-imap and courier-authlib) and everything is back up and
running. I have made the suggested extention, adding the
'wait_timeout' set to 432000 in my my.conf file and restarted MySQL.
The installation is working, though it /did/ timeout the connection
until I made that change. I'd really like to see that patch Johness
mentions below, as I would be filled with greater confidence if I knew
the system was built to attempt to re-open a connection with the
database if the connection has dropped.

      Thank you to all who helped to troubleshoot this problem with
me. I appreciate it.