CentOS 4.3, nothing special for a firewall, some iptable rules that were setup by the install script for qmail toaster.  It’s been doing this pretty much since the beginning that I recall.  It’s not really a barn burner issue, but it’s really quite annoying.  I did run this iptables rule so I could utilize a secondary open port that my ISP doesn’t block – no one had responded back telling me of an alternate way of setting qmail up on another port, so I had to resort to this:

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp -d 111.112.113.114 --dport 8889 -j DNAT --to 111.112.113.114:25" – where the 111.112.113.114 IPs are those of my server.

Thanks,

Jon

From: Jake Vickers [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, July 06, 2006 4:06 AM
To: qmailtoaster-list@qmailtoaster.com
Subject: Re: [qmailtoaster] Connection issues and question regarding qmail log files.

Jon M. Ernster wrote:

I get timeout errors in outlook to my mail server regularly – I was wondering if anyone else has gotten similar errors and if there’s something that can be done to resolve it.

I use IMAP – the error is ‘A timeout occurred while communicating with mail.domain.net.  The connection has been closed.’

Additionally I was curious about how qmail formats its logs – my smtp log is prefixed with lines similar to this @4000000044ac8e6d2406bd7c on almost every line (although they are unique).  Is there any information in regards to this formatting – does it it mean anything?  Is there anyway the logs can be formatted in a standard date/time – if not how can one go back and find specific instances that happened in previous days if  there is no date/time listed in the logs?

Maybe I’m missing something there, I welcome any insight in regards to these issues though.

What distro? Firewall? Did it ever worked correctly before?